Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gambles, Assessments, And Greed: A Cautionary Tale

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,372Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4767 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For many years I have told people what to collect and how to collect it and will tell people for many more years WHAT TO COLLECT .

Now I have to slap a few people around .

I have said collect what you like and enjoy and organize it ,not in shoe boxes or storage boxes ----but put some order to it .How many people come on here and talk their collection ,but you never see it ,or worst people say yes I collect that but I can't find it .

It is a shame what I see in this hobby ,I go to hundreds of stamp auctions and see boxes and boxes of stamp purchases made by stamp collectors who never got around to making a album or organize it .

I don't care how big your collection is ,I care to see how organized it is,what did you do that your proud of , did you write it up ,did you mount it ,did you research it ?

I want to see interest in what you have not how much you spend . The danger to a newbie is buying too much and too many different areas,as the case above .

I look at organization and development as being important ,not looking at 7 or 8 different subjects in one scan ,that tells me your just a loose cannon buying stuff .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4610 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In other words size does not matter.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   6:44 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't care how big your collection is ,I care to see how organized it is,what did you do that your proud of , did you write it up ,did you mount it ,did you research it ?

I want to see interest in what you have not how much you spend . The danger to a newbie is buying too much and too many different areas,as the case above .

I look at organization and development as being important ,not looking at 7 or 8 different subjects in one scan ,that tells me your just a loose cannon buying stuff

Then go start your own threads about what "you want to see" rather than coming into someone else's thread and sh*tposting.

So this thread wasn't about "what you wanted to see". Get over yourself and go do something productive around here for a change.

FFS.
Learn More...
8264 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   6:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We support folks collecting WHAT and HOW they like.

Last year we had Scott English coming to visit our local club. The meeting before the visit a member stood up and made an impassioned plea about 'modern labels', how they were a scourge on the hobby, and how we (as a club) should pressure Scott to get APS to come out against these 'labels'. After short discussion about the freedom to collect what and how each of us sees fit, the fellow withdrew his suggestion. But I noticed that the next month when Scott attended the same fellow cornered Scott and made his point. I am pretty sure that Scott had the same response; each of us collects what and how we desire.
Don
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader- If this is sarcasm Bravo.. I hate to continue this within the thread and would be happy to switch to emails but I confess I am genuinely interested in why you would care about anything that anyone else is doing with their collecting habits and collections. That you actually say you tell people how to collect, what to collect, that it should be organized how you feel it should, and finish with essentially saying you can read minds of the "loose cannons" who collect whatever they want is truly intriguing.... I get that having a bunch of stuff and sitting on it like a dragon with its treasure is not going to make anybody smarter but is that actually your motivation for all of this? I'm sure this sounds far more combative that I mean to make it... I just don't understand why you would worry about anything anyone else was doing short of destroying old material? Andy
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
512 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last thing this hobby needs is more people telling others how to collect.

People should collect what they want, how they want and really not care what anyone else thinks or says about it. I've bought many collections where they were messy and unattractive - to my eyes - but so long as the original collector enjoyed it, good for them. Now I have the chance to keep, sell, mess it up using my own system, whatever.

Given that, I do feel it's right (for me) to only keep stuff I really want and am actively collecting. Moved away from the large classic WW collection, selling 90% of it off and only focusing on a few favourite areas. My rationale is that its better to sell a stamp to someone who really wants it, rather than have it languish unloved in one of my albums for decades. Plus it makes me money to buy stamps I really want...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1375 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@revenuecollector: I enjoyed your original post. But now..... "Someone else's thread (yours)......" I thought this was an open board.

Nobody is telling you what to collect or how to collect. I think floortrader has some good advice about being organized, developed, and maybe able to show material. I had collected since 1960 and hadn't shown anything since high school in the 1960s, until last fall when I got involved in our local Mexico-Latin America stamp club. Been to a few in-person meetings and pandemic-driven virtual meetings. I'm actually enjoying showing some of my stuff.

See also GMOT's last paragraph just above. I did the exact same thing beginning about four years ago, downsizing the world wide collection. In addition to my own voluminous world wide collection, I had over 20 albums from world wide collections I had bought as late as 2007. Some went to auction. Cheap and/or poor condition material went to the paper recycling bin. And the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library got almost 90 manila folders full of album pages for their auctions. Still have a few countries to go. But, I followed floortrader's advice before he gave it. Now I'm better organized, working on countries that I want to have, and having more fun doing it.
Edited by Climber Steve - 08/02/2020 2:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   2:58 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Steve, we'll have to agree to disagree. Coming into an existing discussion and lecturing someone because they don't collect the way you think they should is the height of poor form. I'm not some rube newbie that needs to be told how they should or should not collect.

I never solicited any advice as to whether I should purchase or not or what I should do with the material, so someone coming in out of the blue and telling me that I should rethink my focus or perspective is completely condescending. Also, his commentary was about my not framing the discussion about the lots the way HE thinks they should have been framed.

If he wants to see more discussions framing discussion the way he wants, he should start some of his own threads in that vein, but coming in and criticizing when the purpose of the discussion was never about what he's complaining about, just to derail the discussion because he doesn't like it, is disruptive and unhelpful.

The point of my orginal post was about online purchases and the thought processes and considerations surrounding this, *NOT* the composition of the lots themselves.
Edited by revenuecollector - 08/02/2020 3:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   11:51 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone is interested, I've scanned in all 4 binders and made photo galleries of them.

First Day Covers 1: https://revenue-collector.com/jaybinders/fdc1/

First Day Covers 2: https://revenue-collector.com/jaybinders/fdc2/

Stationery 1: https://revenue-collector.com/jaybinders/stat1/

Stationery 2: https://revenue-collector.com/jaybinders/stat2/
Valued Member
United Kingdom
137 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've scanned in all 4 binders and made photo galleries of them.

thanks for doing that - I'll be very interested to look at these. And thanks too for the initial post which I found really interesting. I was fascinated to see your thought processes laid out like that. As somebody who knows very little about stamps or collecting - I'm the stamp collecting equivalent of the man in the gallery, I know nothing about art but I know what I like - it was really refreshing for somebody to share their thoughts. Thanks again
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4956 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Crispin - bit of classic English self-deprecation there!
Andy - if you're still reading, many thanks for your PM. I replied but I suspect my thanks were shot down by your spam defence system.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6834 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a chance to look at the Planty FDC catalogs, it might prove interesting in some cases.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   10:56 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep. I've got a bunch of the Planty volumes on order through a couple different sources. Not cheap, but will be a great addition to my philatelic library.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   12:32 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I've gone through and examined and tabulated the 2 album page lots.

The $45 revenue lot contained $1,590.00 in Scott.

The $300 official lot was a very pleasant surprise. The majority of stamps were correctly identified, and 1 or 2 of the mis-IDs were actually the better version than where they were placed. 2020 Scott: $9,010.50 excluding the modern officials.

I think I will use this as a foundation for an officials collection.

Of course faults will lower both numbers considerably, but still great value.

The binder lots will take a bit more work to itemize.
Edited by revenuecollector - 08/06/2020 12:37 am
Valued Member
Denmark
430 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   02:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/def...%20Hijacking

I would add "disrespectful" to the list.

As to not further interfere with this otherwise interesting thread, I'll stop my rant.
Edited by ClassicalStamps - 08/06/2020 02:42 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,372Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05