Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New To Stamp World Need Help

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 694Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/30/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add New2stamps007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need help was given these years ago from my grandfather. Are these worth anything need help with appraisals

Send note to Staff
Edited by New2stamps007 - 07/30/2020 10:24 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1457 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely not, but there's a start to a USA collection there if you wanted to pick up the hobby!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot speak to value, but it is certainly an excellent start to a collection. I hope you are interested in the hobby. If not, find someone who is and they will be thankful for the gift.

If interested in further developing your collecting skills, find a stamp club near year. Please understand though that many clubs have suspended activities temporarily during the pandemic.

If you desire to sell the accumulation of stamps, I suggest you visit the storefront of a local dealer.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1279 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   09:07 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just so you understand I think if you got an offer of $20 it would be more than fair, but it is a nice variety.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4401 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to SCF!

I agree with the above opinions. This is a good start to a collection.

Please be aware that the stamps with dark stains (adhesive tape?) cannot be salvaged, and are not collectible/salable stamps.
Valued Member
Learn More...
241 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell what they are from the photo, but looks like there may be a couple of older unused US postage dues in there.
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I attempted to identify a couple stamps from each provided photograph. One of many possible methods of identifying stamps is the "1847usa" guide at StampSmarter.com.

In the fist and second photographs, in the front row, near the left corner:

• 3 bright red violet, Will Rogers, SCOTT # 975, issued in 1948

• 13 blue green, Millard Fillmore, SCOTT # 818, issued in 1938 as part of the Presidential (Prexie) series. As a bonus, this stamp has been "precanceled," which can be a specialty type of collecting.

In the third photograph, in the front row, towards the left corner:

• 1/2 red orange, Benjamin Franklin, SCOTT #1030, issued in 1958 as part of the Liberty series

• 1/2 deep orange, Benjamin Franklin, SCOTT #803, issued in 1938 as part of the Presidential (Prexie) series

• 10 brown orange, George Washington reprint, SCOTT # 948b, issued in 1947 as part of a souvenir sheet commemorating the 100th anniversary of postage stamps

• 50 dull carmine or scarlet (or carmine), Postage Due, SCOTT # J86 (or J76), issued in 1931 (or 1930)

In the fourth photograph, I see some "blocks of four," at least one of which is a "plate number block of four." Identifying just the "blocks," I see:

• 3 dark violet, Susan B. Anthony, SCOTT # 784, issued in 1936

• 3 purple, Arkansas Centennial, SCOTT # 782, issued in 1936

• 2 carmine, Andrews Jackson and Winfield Scott and the Hermitage, SCOTT # 786, issued in 1937

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool thank you very much for the knowledge. I have no clue. Yes unfortunately I wanted to have them looked at to see if there were any to get rid of due to my wife's health.
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are tons of unused stamps. I have book of books of stamps. Some with zeppelin on them all the way to NASA stamps
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love to see the Zepps and other early ones.
Valued Member
Learn More...
241 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Put up some more photos please. Sure you'll get a lot of feedback.

I also see a couple of Japanese stamps in there. Look like WW2 era.

The postage dues I was referring to are the brown stamps with the "1" and "2" prominently displayed on them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The black 2-cent "big head" stamp with the diamonds fancy cancel near the bottom left of the first two photos could have good value. Can you post a close-up image of that single stamp?
Edited by Classic Coins - 08/01/2020 12:14 am
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that the one I took pics off all of them will be posting tomorrow
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
25 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These 'Black Jack' stamps with Andrew Jackson's image are interesting because it's absurd how large the face really is. I don't think you will find any other stamp from any country that compares to it. This stamp has 6 different Scott numbers from what I know, so a positive ID could be hard for a beginner.

The Postage Due stamps you have are actually quite nice. Some people focus a lot of attention on these. It's a shame that the Scott Specialized catalogue only has ONE lousy image per 'style'. Oh well, not the right place for me to whine...
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 694Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05