Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New To Stamp World Need Help

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 695Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find the 3/8 and 5/8 stamps interesting, as I simply do not have this series in my collection. (Typically, I do not buy stamps and therefore am not seeking to buy these.) The 3/8 stamp appears to be a 1914 revenue/proprietary stamp, SCOTT # RB34 or RB46. The 5/8 stamp is SCOTT # RB35 or RB48.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have attempted to identify approximately the first half of the photographs posted this morning, utilizing an old edition of the "SCOTT Specialized Catalogue of U.S. Stamps and Covers." I possess no knowledge of older stamps and therefore leave further commentary to the experts.

• 2 red brown (or pale red brown) George Washington, SCOTT # 210 (or unlikely 211B), issued in 1883.

• 3 violet (or similar color) George Washington, numerous varieties triggering several SCOTT #'s, originally issued in 1908. Due to the tiny holes within the stamp, it is called a "perfin." Perfins are created by institutions or companies to mark a stamp as private property, thereby preventing theft. Thus, the pattern of tiny dots identify which company owned the stamp.

• 5 blue George Washington, numerous varieties triggering several SCOTT #'s, originally issued in 1908.

• 3 ultramarine or blue Locomotive, originally issued in 1869. Due to multiple printings and potential high value, I hope an expert chimes in with further commentary.

• 1 green George Washington, numerous varieties triggering several SCOTT #'s, originally issued in 1912.

• 10 ultramarine Specialy Delivery messenger on bicycle, numerous varieties triggering several SCOTT #'s, originally issued in 1902.

• 4 black Silver Centennial, SCOTT # 1130, issued in 1959.

• 3 violet Battle of Brooklyn, SCOTT # 1003, issued in 1951.

• 1 ultramarine (or similar color) Benjamin Franklin, numerous varieties triggering several SCOTT #'s, originally issued in 1870.

• 5 bright blue Chinese Resistance, SCOTT # 906, issued in 1942.

• 50 carmine (or dull carmine) Postage Due, SCOTT # J76 (or J86), originally issued in 1930.

The previously referenced Zeppelin stamps, and other oldies, would probably be of interest to people within this online community.
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your insight on things help was very much appreciated
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New2stamps007, Please try to post your images with the stamps aligned upright.

Since you asked if they are worth anything. . .

The 1869 3-cent locomotive is Scott #114. It looks to be in decent condition from the front, except for the rounded corner. It is one of the highest valued stamps you've shown a single photo of. According to my 2017 Scott catalog, it would have a value of $17.50 if it was undamaged with very fine (VF) centering, but it is neither, so the resale value would likely be less than a quarter of catalog value.

The 1-cent gray blue Franklin stamp with the Boston Mass cancel was issued in 1881, and is is Scott #206. It has a 2017 catalog value of $1.00, but it is damaged.

Some of the other higher values are the three Columbus stamps, but unfortunately, they had perforations cut off, rendering them worthless from a resale standpoint.
Edited by Classic Coins - 08/02/2020 9:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about that. I'm my phone they are correctly but when I put them on here they all turned sideways
Valued Member
United States
17 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add New2stamps007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They were all given to me from my late grandfather. I have tons of WWII memorabilia loads of nazi pendants he collected and other various things. Just wanted to catalog them all and give them to my son when he comes of age
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
no worries.

Can you show the zeppelin stamps you mentioned?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 695Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05