Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Watermark Fluids Safe? I Read Somewhere That They All Contain Benzene Which Is A Carcinogenic!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 415Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/30/2020   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are there some kind of safe watermark fluid for your health? Love my stamps but don't want to die because I'm checking way too many watermarks.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
Posted 07/30/2020   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No more benzene.

http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ge...nFluids.html

There is also a product called Clarity to examine.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/30/2020   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

No more benzene.

http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ge...nFluids.html

There is also a product called Clarity to examine.

I've been using the Prinz one. It is called Super Safe. I wonder if it is super safe for the stamps or for the collector

Is Prinz safe for our health?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See the bottom for ingredients disclosure.

https://www.amosadvantage.com/produ...ermark-Fluid
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4626 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only use Super Safe. Not bad on the rocks.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I only use Super Safe. Not bad on the rocks.

But is it toxic for your health? I read the ingridients but I have no clue what they mean or do to you. At least it looks like it does not have benzene!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4963 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of us use lighter fluid - I suspect it's one of the lesser threats to my well-being.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand your concern. Just to clarify petroleum distillate (naphtha) found in lighter fluid is not benzene which is quite carcinogenic. No more benzene in watermark fluids. Some of the old wm fluids contained benzine a lesser evil than benzene. More info on Clarity ingredients would be helpful. A product helped formulated for safety by request of the APS. You may want to look into the pros and 'cons' of a Safe Signoscope. Chemical free device.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 07/31/2020 03:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4626 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A whole lot of things are toxic to humans if used irresponsibly. Nobody suits up to use household cleaning solutions but if you read many of their labels you probably should. Heck, being in the sun unprotected for even short periods of time in the Summer months has risks. Not too many people slathering on SPF 50 to take that 20 minute excercise walk. Ever read the ingredients list of some popular packaged food staples? Use artificial sweetener? Eat charred barbeque? Been exposed to secondhand smoke from any source? Driven behind a belching diesel truck?

It should be mentioned that just because something is deemed "safer" now does not mean that it will be "safer" later on.

Oftentimes the alternatives to things found to be "unsafe" do not work very well or are extremely unuser friendly.

Just use common sense. Also acknowledge that life has some risk and to enjoy it the risk needs to be managed and rationed appropriatey.

Disclosure: This SCF member is an ardent supporter of Roundup and laments its passing from the marketplace because it really did kill that vegetation. (Never sprayed it into the wind for an hour though or licked my fingers after spilling it on my hands or......)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The dose makes the poison" -Paracelsus

Even water has a "Safety Data Sheet". Life is not risk-free. Turns out, just being born in the 19th century has proven to be 100% fatal.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Turns out, just being born in the 19th century has proven to be 100% fatal."

I guess people weren't procreating with demons and aliens yet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
561 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always start with a very bright flashlight. Many watermarks that are discernible by fluid also show up with this simple maneuver
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4626 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be careful not to stare into the flashlight beam for too long as it can damage your eyes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always hold stamps up to the light first also. However my experience is that doing so often does not work in telling the difference between SL and DL watermarks. Also the paper in some eras is really not very good and has shadows which are not watermarks but can look odd in the light. For example, one dollar Prexies are notorious for this, there are always shadows around the portrait.
Valued Member
United States
471 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are there some kind of safe watermark fluid for your health? Love my stamps but don't want to die because I'm checking way too many watermarks.

Modern watermark fluids are safe if used properly. Clarity is probably the best. Super Safe is next. Lighter Fluid is good but use in a well ventilated area.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 415Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05