Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would You Trust Using 30 Year Old Sealed Hawid Mounts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 281Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
25 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Casey Magoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a lot of unopened Hawid mounts, and most of them have price tags that are under 5 dollars. I just bought a new cutter and was going to use them with some of my very best stamps. Am I a fool to trust them? The back of the packaging is just paper, so they could have absorbed anything over the decades. They are in a shoe box that does have a slight odour. I do not want to do anything I regret...
Send note to Staff
Edited by Casey Magoo - 07/31/2020 3:26 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2419 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would used them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have some Hawid mounts that I bought while I was at university more than 45 years ago in sizes that I rarely use and they appear and mount as well today as they did almost 5 decades ago. Yes the price tag compared to today's prices is a real shock.
Valued Member
Canada
25 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They range from 27 or 27.5 up to over 40mm, and look just fine. I will open one and see if any traces of toning are on the backing sheet. My worst fear is infecting stamps now and seeing nasty brown spots in 5 years.
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would use them. I have several different sizes of Hawid and Showgard from the mid-80s that I still use to mount stamps in my collection.

Scott
Member APS, PNC3, AFDCS, PSS

Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org)

Coil Line (club newsletter) Editor & Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Valued Member
Learn More...
376 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would do a simple color test.

Hold them up to natural light and look at the color. Toss the yellowing ones and keep the clear ones.

I travel (traveled) frequently and always try and stop in any stamp store in any city I happen to be in. I always ask about Hawids as they aren't as popular and sometimes there is a box of them from an old collection hidden in the back. I have been able to get bunches of opened packages this way. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are not.

Use a clear one to compare side by side - they are usually pretty obvious. The old ones sometimes have cracked gum on the back, but I have found that doesn't seem to interfere in any way. They still stick!
Edited by StateRevs - 07/31/2020 6:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gr1956stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome ,Casey. They should be fine unless that odor is cat related. I am still using some Showguard and Scott mounts that are over 30 years old and they do just fine.
Valued Member
Canada
25 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I will take a shot and use them. Some say they are made in W. Germany, but most say P. Liechtenstein. If I come across any that are not up to par I will toss them. I've got over 20 packs. These came in a big lot I bought at least 10 years. Thanks for your input everyone.

I opened two packs and the gum looks like gator boots. Normal to shrink and crack?
Edited by Casey Magoo - 07/31/2020 8:14 pm
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are they black or clear mounts?

StateRevs mentioned tossing the yellow ones, so if they are clear mounts that are yellowing I agree. However, if they are black mounts and have some gator cracking in the gum I wouldn't be too worried. These are not Crystal Mounts that caused the brown spot damage to a lot of collections. You also have to remember that the gum on the Hawid mounts does not touch the stamps and the clear and black parts of the mount that hold the stamp are the same whether you mounted the stamp 40 years ago or today. I have not seen any form of damage on stamps that I mounted with Hawid mounts 50 years ago.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
957 Posts
Posted 07/31/2020   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As long as that odor is not pungent old tobacco tar and smoke from cigarettes, or cat related they should be good to go. I also have used ones 20 to 30 years old that have that cracked gum and have not had any issue with them.
Valued Member
Canada
25 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for taking the time everyone. They are all black, no clear. Now, I also have a few Scotts T-mounts that I did not mention previously. They are in a resealable plastic shell and mostly used up. Only a few left so I didn't think it was worth talking about. I can't see any yellowing, and the smell is mild like you'd expect in any large collection that comes in a tote.
Valued Member
Learn More...
376 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are all black, no clear.

Apologies! I only use clear and forget about the black ones.

I am not sure what old black mounts look like when they age and "yellow".

I have had no issues with the gum that gets the gator cracked look. I use a Q-tip lightly dipped in water to wet just the bottom of the mounts and have had no issue at all with these older mounts.

In fact (knock on wood) I have never had a Hawid mount fall off the page.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 281Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05