Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clarification Symbol.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 347Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
21 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   02:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add josef61 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't understand the meaning of the symbol at the top right of the stamp, what is it? Does it belong to any particular type of print? Thank you.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a scanner? if so, scan at 1200 dpi or 1500 and crop to that corner. It looks signature-like. It could also be an ink transfer from a printed album page or something written under the stamp in an album page. try flipping your scan to see a mirror image.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1318 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it is most likely some kind of ownership mark applied by a previous possessor of the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
907 Posts
Posted 08/01/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, that seems most likely. That color is not unusual for an owner's mark.
Valued Member
Italy
21 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   06:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your answers.No scanner, I add more photos I hope better.A friend of mine collector heard that in America famous print shop put brand in the top right. What do you think? Your opinion more competence.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1318 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
josef, whatever that mark might be, it was not part of the printing process. Someone applied it after the stamp was used and soaked off its cover.
Valued Member
Italy
21 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add josef61 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your opinion, I think you're right in your assessment.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 347Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05