Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Island South Of USA" Ebay Lot

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 731Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think eBay may be acting in a duplicitous manner on this topic. Based on the recent posts on this topic, I did a google search for "iran stamps for sale." Below is a screen shot of 1 particular result. eBay actually pays for an ad promoting Iran stamps on their site. The reason I believe it's a targeted, specific ad for Iran stamps is that the spelling - I R A N with spaces. So no one is allowed to sell them, according to eBay, yet they advertise on Google with a carefully crafted ad offering them for sale. Confusing...

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8499 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   1:08 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clark,
I do not work for eBay nor do I own their stock any longer, I am only offering an alternative perspective.

If anyone was motivated in making the case you state then I assume that they would need to hire a lawyer, open a discussion with the Treasury Department, get them to make a ruling or decision in writing. Then this could be taken to eBay to see if they would consider change in policy and ultimately their algorithm. Be aware that 'Stamps' (or even Collectibles) are probably not on their radar...

eBay exists to make money for their stockholders, their stockholders want the company to be profitable. I doubt that the stockholders care about a category which is not significant to the bottom line.

I agree that some folks ought to switch to Hipstamp. Dealing with a large corporation is not the same as dealing with a tiny company. (Hip has 15-20 employees compared to eBays 14,000+ employees.) In my opinion expecting eBay to care (by making exceptions) about a category which accounts for a very small percentage of their income is not realistic.
Don
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another country that I noticed has weird names is Sudan. I saw a couple of Canadian dealers selling stamps from "North East Africa". Turns out they were Sudanese stamps.

I wonder how many other stamp issuing entities are 'verboten' on eBay.

eBay may have single-handedly killed the market for Cuba, New York postal history. At some level, I am just kidding around. On another, I am not.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4181 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 731Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05