Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Plating Advice For 3c 1851-1857

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 307Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add macsyrinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

My first attempt at plating is really frustrating me. I am using stampplating.com and stampsmarter.com/features/SQL_3C_Plating.html. My frustration starts with is this a 10a or 11a. I am going on color so I am guessing 10a but I really am not sure. Could somebody tell me if I am in the right direction? I believe it is an A relief with a lower right guide dot and I don't see any recuts. Am I going in the right direction? I appreciate any input.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1632 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi macsyrinx,

Nice stamp! It almost certainly is an 11A printed from plate 1L, Judging from the slightly heavy inking in the upper right corner.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2344 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   5:58 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's an odd color but I think it is a Plate 1L stamp. Definitely a B relief. Check Plate 1L first and go from there. Use the plating wizard. The only recuts should be two inner lines.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2344 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:00 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was typing two steps forward and one step back on my phone while CC beat me to the punch.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add macsyrinx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I very much appreciate the info. Yes, the color threw me off. The inner lines are recut? Would they be fainter if not recut?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1632 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
macsyrinx, The inner lines are heavily recut. there is a guide dot near the bottom right corner. I found the position, but would like to see if you can take it from here.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add macsyrinx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
well, of everything I thought, at least I got the guide dot right ha ha. Thanks for the info.

The inner line going up past the rosette, lower left corner a bit faint, the guide dot looks to be the same, 68R1L?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1632 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, you did mention the guide dot. Not 68R1L.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add macsyrinx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are the ones that I am thinking about. If one of these is not it, then I need to read more.
44R1L
68R1L
81R1L
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1632 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's none of those three.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add macsyrinx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I very much appreciate the info and assistance. I will continue to read up as I don't think I am quite grasping it, or my eyes need to be trained a bit more. Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add macsyrinx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ah, I just looked at stamps with no recut inner lines. I now see that they are recut. Yes, I do need to keep reading and comparing. Thanks again!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1632 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check L1L.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add macsyrinx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
63L1L. The rosettes look similar, guide dot looks similar position, inner lines look similar, the A and G in Postage looks similar. What else does a person look to compare?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1632 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
63L1L is correct. Well done!

Checking the curves in the frame lines, especially the side frame lines, can be very helpful. It's almost like fingerprinting. Look at the frame lines at a low angle with a magnifier or compress the image vertically with an image editor, like this (your stamp):

Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add macsyrinx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice trick. The right side is definitely unique. I appreciate the assistance Classic Coins and sinclair2010. Clearly, lol, I need more practice and info. Thanks!

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 307Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05