Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am Assuming This Is Not A Genuine 11A Plum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 555Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
35 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Casey Magoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The image of this cover isn't the clearest, but some hopeful seller or dealer has called it an 11A Plum. The tiny bit of research that I have done tells me this particular stamp is way too dark, like an eggplant. This is part of a lot I got cheap but with the mail service I probably won't see it for another week or more. Does anyone have experience with 3c stamps that have 'gone purple'?

Send note to Staff
Edited by Casey Magoo - 08/03/2020 8:20 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1672 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with 3c stamps that have 'gone purple'?

Casey Magoo, The stamp is very likely not the plum color, but an an oxidized (darkened by exposure to the elements) stamp of another color. If it was a claret or deep claret color originally, that would explain the dark purple look after oxidation.

Some oxidized stamps can be restored to near their original color with hydrogen peroxide, if done correctly, depending on the original ink used.

Here's an example of an oxidized stamp that I treated with hydrogen peroxide to restore it to near its original color.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
35 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancellation (PM) says Kelloggsville NY, but I have an old directory that says there should only be one G in the name. Maybe the directory from the 1860's had a typo. I was looking for unusual stuff as always. I guess I'll be able to tell if the stamp is oxidized when I see it up close. I will not try to change it in any way. Thanks for the response.
Edited by Casey Magoo - 08/03/2020 9:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find the post mark very interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1672 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome. I'd like to see a closeup image of the stamp when you get it, if you wouldn't mine posting one.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is Kelloggsville, NY with two G's. I would bet that's a DPO.

I would be interested if there's a date marking associated with this cover. Is there content?
Edited by stampcrow - 08/03/2020 9:09 pm
Valued Member
Canada
35 Posts
Posted 08/03/2020   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will definitely put this on the scanner and post a better image of it. I am waiting for about 5 things to arrive in the mail here and it's driving me nuts. When it gets here I will see what is on the back or inside.
Edited by Casey Magoo - 08/04/2020 06:53 am
Valued Member
Canada
35 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got the stuff today! I am writing this now, but to scan I have to unplug my LAN and mess around a bit. I will post all 4 of the 3c Washingtons that came. Two imperfs and a Grille from Sinking Creek VA. Give me a bit of time to check them out. Spoiler - the 'plum' is heavily oxidized and a little disappointing...
Valued Member
Canada
35 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Adding images of the bogus plum and 3 others just because I got them all today...

I'm sure they are nothing special. The grill looks pretty small. The last shot is with a microscope and it shows the deep impression the ring cancel left. I can't place a year on half of these which is unfortunate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1672 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the so-called plum stamp is definitely oxidized. You can get a sense of the original color of the stamp behind the head of Washington, where the darkened ink was disturbed. It is an interesting and attractive cover. The stamp is from plate 2L or 3.

The stamp on the Providence cover is a plate 1L printing, and the color in the image appears to be rose red.

That's a great CDS on the cover with the grilled stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1672 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a certified plum:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any content with the Kelloggsville cover?
Valued Member
Canada
35 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No contents in any I'm afraid. Just a few pencil scribbles on the outside. Why anyone would do that is beyond me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a great cover regardless, Thanks for sharing.
And although not plum the stamp is nice also. Should be easy to plate.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 555Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05