Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Caveat Emptor: Subway Stamp

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,440Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7013 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phil Banser is a long time philatelic literature dealer who also deals stamps and postal history.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1413 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rogdcam: thanks for the link to Bansner. Saved me the time of looking it up. I checked a few of my specialty countries out of curiosity (Angola, Poland, Mexico). I see I'll be spending some time there later this month.

His web site, by the way, seems pretty up to date and I found it easy to navigate.
Edited by Climber Steve - 08/07/2020 09:12 am
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know they are well liked but a couple years ago I placed a sizable order with Potomac Supplies (Maryland Stamp & Coin). Not only was there no indication or notification of out of stock items, but I received no notification that in-stock items were being held until the out of stock items were available. It took a month to get my ordered cancelled due to non-responsiveness.

Since then, I check.

On July 16 I emailed Subway about items they have listed to ask if they are actually in stock. They are White Ace album binders and given the status I don't want to risk it. No response to date. I just don't feel like chasing someone down to give them my money.
claymorgan.me Some philately discussions. Occasionally other stuff.
Pillar Of The Community
836 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link to Banser.

ecmorgan, you may already know this but White Ace is no longer publishing so those White Ace binders might take quite awhile to get!

As for Subway Stamp Shop, I'm now into month 5 or 6 in trying to get them to replace some damaged album pages I bought from them - which they promised to replace, but haven't. I know there's a pandemic, but a reply would be nice. What's going on with all these unresponsive companies? Is everyone who sells stamps and stamp supplies just completely checked out?
Edited by DrewM - 08/12/2020 9:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DrewM:

That's part of my gripe about some of these dealers (other than lack of response). He has (or had) them listed on his website, but having ceased publication, I emailed to find out.

It is interesting that SOME dealers seem to make it a tad hard to give them your money!
claymorgan.me Some philately discussions. Occasionally other stuff.
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thumbs up from me for Phil, too.

I ordered some 107 dealer stock cards (can't remember what to call them... sorry) from Subway on May 23, knowing full well that it would be delayed due to COVID. While I was there, I decided to have them throw in a stockbook into the order, too. 5 seconds after sending the order, I got the robo-confirmation e-mail. Good! They got it. Wait. Wait. Wait. I e-emailed about a month ago. No reply. I called on August 16 and found out that the order was held up because the super-duper special on the stockbook was out of stock. I had requested them to ship the order complete. The stockbook was some European thing and they were just not making it across the ocean. I asked them to remove the stockbook from the order, and I received the stock cards about a week later. I was expecting a delay, just not 3 months worth. And without any word on the status of the order. Anyway, I am all good now.

ETA: I think for Subway, if you are looking for info or status on an order: don't e-mail them. Call on the phone.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 08/28/2020 03:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the age of Amazon you would think that these small legacy shops would recognize that pretty much their sole selling point is quality personal service. Maybe they are just waiting for the end to come at this point or believe that carrying stuff that nobody else does will be their niche even though that stuff will never be enough to keep the lights on.

Note: Bansner's son is a very good IT person that built Phil's excellent website and helps him organize and keep up to date a very fragmented, populous and dense inventory successfully. Always nice to have a doctor, lawyer or IT professional in the family.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As the long-time owner of a small professional services
business I understand the importance of quality customer
care, effective and timely communication, and the value of a customer.

No question that COVID-19 has presented many new challenges.
But it has also presented opportunities.

Have been an occasional Subway customer for at
least 20 years. Often for the "close out" philatelic literature
as well as basic collecting supplies.

My most recent (and likely final) order was placed in early
June. Before placing the order I called Subway to verify it
was open and processing orders. Was advised the
desired items were in stock. And to expect a two-week
processing time as staff has recently returned to work
and was clearing the prior backlog of customer orders.

After 6 wks and no shipment began to make queries as to
order status. With little success. My order was received c 8
wks after placement. For items supposedly in stock.

During the same period (this summer) also made
purchases from at least three other philatelic dealers. Without
incident or delay.

This is an unfortunate development for a legacy
company. But clearly Subway has failed to keep up
with the times.
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple days ago I sent an e-mail to Subway asking on the availability of a couple items. I figured I'd give them a couple days in the hopes of getting a response.

With nothing in my inbox or junkbox I decided to give them a call. For both their customer service line and the toll-free order line I received a recorded message telling me the number is "restricted from incoming calls."

Has anyone tried calling them and been able to get through recently?

Dale
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone tried calling them and been able to get through recently?

Per my post of 8/28, I called a few days before that and got through. I think I called the non-800 number. I got answered right away. I haven't called since then, though.

I have had -0- luck e-mailing for info.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1883 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have experienced a lot of difficulty when dealing with Subway. Actually, I tend to avoid them unless necessary.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1613 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Statesman that can happen if you don't allow your called ID to be seen. But it can also happen if your number has been blocked, or for no reason at all. If it's persistent it's possible Subway blocked your number.
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
shermae,

In this case the issue is definitely on Subway's end. I don't bother hiding my number and have done nothing that would lead Subway to block me. It's been about five or so years since my last order with them.

No matter. I went ahead and ordered the album pages I was inquiring about from Nola Stamp Shop. Problem solved. Subway's loss.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just read a slew of recent negative Google reviews that all are centered around the same types of issues discussed in this thread. This business has all of the classic indicators of an enterprise about to bite the dust suddenly.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...89467ac1,1,,,
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,440Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.46 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05