Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Identify This, How Much Can They Cost

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 573Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bayarchyk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
322 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A collection of early US definitive, postage due and revenue stamps with one or two commemeratives thrown in. There are a few stamps with a catalog value of over $10, including the 4c Pan-American, the 10c postage due and the $5 Head of freedom, but many are not in great condition. Overall the lot might sell for $10-15??
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4141 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and welcome to the forum.
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Resources are available if you choose to identify the individual stamps. This is particularly helpful if you have a potential interest in stamp collecting. The SCOTT-brand catalogues are loaded with valuable information, which are available in some public libraries. My favorite being the "SCOTT Specialized Catalogue of U.S. Stamps & Covers." Additionally, the website StampSmarter.com has a tool called "1847usa" that is a great online resource.

As samples, I have amateurishly attempted to identify the leftmost column of stamps in the first photograph.
  • Air Mail eagle, SCOTT # C48, issued in 1954

• 1/2¢ dull red Postage Due, SCOTT # J68, issued in 1925

• 1/2¢ dull carmine (or carmine) Posage Due, SCOTT # J79 (or J69), issued in 1931 (or 1930)

• 1/2¢ orange Benjamin Franklin, part of the Presidential Issue, SCOTT # 803, issued in 1938. Also noteworthy is the cancellation of two horizontal bars with the city name between. This is known as a precancel, which is a specialty type collecting.

• 6¢ red orange John Quincy Adams, part of the Presidential Issue, SCOTT # 811, issued in 1938. It is easily distinguished by the similar stamp, SCOTT # 846, by the perforations. Sheet stamps such as 811 are perforated on all four sides. Coil stamps such as 846 are perorated only on opposite sides.

• 14¢ blue Franklin Pierce, part of the Presidential Issue, SCOTT # 819, issued in 1938.

• 24¢ grayish black Benjamin Harrison, part of the Presidential Issue, SCOTT # 828, issued in 1938.

• $1 carmine (or scarlet) Postage Due, SCOTT # J77 (or J87), issued in 1930 (or 1956)

• 4¢ carmine rose Postage Due, SCOTT # J92, issued in 1959

…and the second photograph.
  • 17¢ black Wilson, SCOTT # 623 or 697, issued in 1925 or 1931

• 2¢ violet brown battleship, SCOTT # RB27, issued in 1898. This is actually not a postage stamp, but rather a "Proprietary" revenue stamp.

• 1¢ greenish George Washington, one of a slew of 1908 Washington issues. As it is perforated on all four sides, it is a "sheet" stamp. Again, this stamp appears to be "precanceled."

• 2¢ orange and black George Washington, SCOTT # R135, issued in the 1870's. This is actually not a postage stamp, but rather a revenue stamp.

• 2¢ red brown George Washington, SCOTT # 210, issued in 1883

• 1¢ pale blue battleship, SCOTT # R163, issued in 1989. This is actually not a postage stamp, but rather a revenue stamp.

• 2¢ dull blue Benjamin Franklin, SCOTT # 219, issued in 1890.

Again, this will get you started on identification. Errors are probable due to the speed at which I undertook this identification process.
United States
4 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bayarchyk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

United States
4 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bayarchyk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

United States
4 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bayarchyk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could you please advise a person to whom I can show the entire collection that I have for the estimated value, thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a lot of scans. The Netherlands Wilhemina definitives (portrait in circle) have some value, in particular the 9c and 60c. About $5-6 each if sold to another collector but worth a tad more if stamps you have from this series are all sold together. A dealer might pay 40% of what I quoted.

Keep in mind that any condition issues will reduce the values I've provided and it's hard to tell in the scans if the stamps have condition issues

The earlier Wilhelmina definitives (portrait in oval) might bring a few bids on eBay but only if started no higher than 99c.

You may wish to visit your public library and find circulating copies of Scott's catalog to study and arrange all your stamps. Keep in mind that catalog values are kind of fake. In the real world, in most circumstances, Scott prices are 2 times to 4 times too high, based on actual pricing you may see online.
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First of all my disclaimer, I collect for fun and relaxation. Thus, I typically would not buy or sell stamps and therefore am not familiar with the dealer industry. That being stated, the American Philatelic Society has a dealer directory on their website.

For the educational benefit, I shall point out that you have some "perfin" stamps. "Perfins" are tiny holes punctured within a stamp to create a unique branding. The branding indicates the company or institution that owned the stamp, thereby preventing employee theft. Some collectors specialize in "perfins." In your photographs, these include

I identified the stamps in one particular photograph which contains four U.S. stamps:
  • 20¢ carmine rose airplane, SCOTT # Q8, issued in the 1913 series of Parcel Post stamps. My old SCOTT catalog lists a double-digit value. Two cancellation lines with the city's name between indicates a "precancel."

• 1¢ dark green Huguenot-Wallooon Tercentenary, SCOTT # 614, issued in 1924

• 10¢ carmine rose steamship, SCOTT # Q6, issued in the 1913 series of Parcel Post stamps.

• 15¢ carmine rose automobile, SCOTT # Q7, issued in the 1913 series of Parcel Post stamps. My old SCOTT catalog lists a low double-digit value.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3593 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could you please advise a person to whom I can show the entire collection that I have for the estimated value, thanks

I think you are hoping for a high value. Just from my perspective, I see a lot of common material, most in poor shape. I wouldn't buy it, as I already have all of these. Someone hoping to fill in a few holes may pay $10 to $20 is my guess, but that is based on their needs. A reseller wouldn't offer too much, I'm afraid. Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4141 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you take a picture of the whole collection showing what all the stamps are placed into. Albums,stock books, etc.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 573Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05