Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Stamps With Text Below Design

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 445Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
11 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add revenue48 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What is appropriate? Including text as part of the grade or not? Please see sample.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6928 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a reason to grade this ?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5057 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
None whatsoever, but the key word is "sample".
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenue48 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might be able to see I'm getting into collecting stamps. When grading stamps, some have text below the design. My query is whether or not the text should be included as part of the centering grade. Apologies for any confusion.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Text below design (typically initials of the designer and engraver) is not a feature of US stamps. And it seems to me only US stamps are graded. There is no point in grading modern stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2952 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenue 48, my apologies if I twist your question incorrectly, but do you really mean "grading" - being a paid-for service, or rather along more casual lines of ... when selecting a stamp for my album, which is normal: to consider only the centering of the rectangle of the design or to also include the bottom exterior text as part of the centering evaluation?

If that is your question, then personally I would ignore the extra text and deal only with the centering of the image itself.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2339 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   9:55 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I go by the design ignoring the imprint below, but if I have to choose between one that is a little high or one that is a little low, I'll take into account the imprint and go with the high one.
Edited by eyeonwall - 08/07/2020 9:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1567 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Germania that non-US stamps (with the exception of Canada??) rarely if ever get graded. And I agree with eyewall that the imprint would be ignored in favor of the amount of white space above and below the design.
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenue48 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input. I neglected to see that this is for US. Once again apologies
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5057 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't HAVE to be for the US, but collectors elsewhere have shown no interest in this racket.

Why have you started anotehr thread with the same question?
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenue48 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker and eyeonwall, that for the information.
GeoffHa, my apologies if I erred in my reply or questions. I can see some are here to help, others not so much. I am relatively new to collecting (away for many years), and this forum is also new for me. I'll try and not offend you in the future. Kind regrads
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5057 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You didn't offend me, but opening multiple threads on the same topic just confuses.
Learn More...
8398 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   6:54 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please note that 'cross posting' is against forum rules https://www.stampcommunity.org/rules.asp#rulesid10
(It creates problems/confusion especially when other go to search on that topic.)
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05