Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Barred Cancellation/Obliterator With An A In The Middle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 317Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1504 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,

Does anyone know where this cancellation was applied? It appears to have been struck on arrival (wherever that was) over the Sydney duplex postmark.

I initially thought it was English but I can't find anything resembling this in my literature.

Any help would be much appreciated
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure?
Could it be a barred V ?

Barred A exists for Colombo (Ceylon) but differing design.
Barred A exists in Western Australia (Vasse), again, diff design.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 08/09/2020 07:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2719 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Type 35 Allahabad (India) circle bar cancel.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice option P12,
I thought I had seen it before, India did not pass my mind.

http://www.myindianstamp.com/p/blog-page_15.html
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
545 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How common, then, was it to strike again on arrival? Was that done elsewhere than in India?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1504 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rod and perf12

I thought it was a V at first too Rod. Black cancellations on black stamps eh?

EMaxim raises an excellent question!

I found this site too.

http://www.surinder-singh.com/cance....php?i=101-2

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How common, then, was it to strike again on arrival? Was that done elsewhere than in India?

Opinion.
A receival or transit strike, not common, but occurs, esp when considering the vast numbers of mail hand processed, usually struck when a stamp was noticed as uncancelled, rarer when struck twice in differing countries.
An EFO.

Correction

Quote:
Barred A exists in Western Australia (Vasse), again, diff design.

Make that a Barred "V"

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1504 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
rarer when struck twice in differing countries

Indeed!

My two other examples. I've little doubt the first one is a redirect. The second one speaks for itself!

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2719 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is unusual that a type 35 barred cancel would be used as
a receiving cancel.A normal CDS would of been placed on the back of the cover.Perhaps the NSW stamp was part of a multi franked cover and it was redirected with a British India stamp next to it and the type 35 was applied at least twice.One landing on the NSW stamp.??
In that case it would be a scarce stamp with that cancel....
Edited by perf12 - 08/10/2020 08:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
545 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yet another interesting facet of the hobby I've learned about. And something else to watch for! Thanks to all.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1504 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks perf12, excellent information!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05