Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

French Colonies Forgery Collection?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 358Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1314 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   10:41 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw this listed on eBay and I'm not an expert but isn't far more likely these stamps are genuine than forgeries?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fr...AOSwurlfLGJS
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5078 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At a quick, sample glance, they look like the Fournier/Hirschburger forgeries. Key points are the perfs and the clarity/accuracy of the design. Price looks off the wall.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4882 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken ,nice collection and it is a fair price . They looks the same as mine but they are sold as forgeries ,if your lucky it is possible a few real one's slipped in .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
556 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Price shocked me, until I counted the pages: 18! and all pretty well filled. Truly a nice collection of what are fairly famous forgeries. And the seller is generally reliable. Also appears to offer the possibility of certification that these are indeed forgeries (see end of his detailed item description).
Edited by EMaxim - 08/09/2020 12:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5078 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You don't need authentication, as they're pretty obvious. Famous, yes, but also mass-produced. Usually your heart sinks when you find these in a colonies collection - unless you like forgeries, of course.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
541 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that's one way to fill a lot of holes in one's early French colonies collection... So long as you don't look too closely at them!
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2736 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me the peace & commerce issues are interesting in the type of cancels that can be found on these stamps.Military (Army corps) ,ship cancels,small towns.Depending on the colony; they can be more or less scarce and sometimes rare.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4906 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this material not long ago at auction and I am trying to find it again. Interested to see what it sold for.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5078 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See lot 730 - sold for $140 (2018)

https://www.spink.com/auction/166?page=37
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4906 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff - That could be it even though there are no photos. I swear that it sold again though. The scans look so familiar.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5078 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It just popped up on a Google search - there could be others. I keep these if I come across them in colonies lots (not that I win any these days), but I can't imagine paying four figures for them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
556 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't imagine paying four figures for them.

Agreed! Though I'd keep them if they fell to me. Forgeries are interesting enough and these looked nice. Learning what the common fakes look like helps me recognize the genuine, particularly when the fakes are well done.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05