Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crete: 1905 Revolutionary Govt Lithographs.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 15,751Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3137 Posts
Posted 02/12/2011   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The standard test for forgeries of the King George design is the other way round: the frame line is double at the right on the genuine stamps and reprints (as in Collin's scan) and single at the right in the forgeries (as in the two in Rodney's original post).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3137 Posts
Posted 02/12/2011   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
However, the forgeries are usually obvious as such at first glance before checking the frame.
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35180 Posts
Posted 02/12/2011   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A great rehash on the original thread,
great new scans and info!
Quickly plundered, and placed in my Crete folder.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 02/12/2011   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Now, if only we could get that original poster to change to topic thread to something that includes "revolutionary" and "1905" (or some such thing).

Greece
1 Posts
Posted 05/08/2011   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VERGIS92 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

I have a stamp, like the first one seen in the main forum picture but with inverted center, found among many other greek stamps I recently purchased.

Can anyone please advise me if this particular one is of any value, based on some official catalog. (and where I can get it certified)

Thanks in advance

Edited by VERGIS92 - 05/08/2011 05:43 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
496 Posts
Posted 05/08/2011   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Terrific thread, missed this one first time round!
Glad to affirm all my Therisson Crete appear to be OK.
Welcome Vergis92
Can't find any information for your inverted centre King George, my 2008 Hellas catalogue has no such variety mentioned.
DavidR
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3137 Posts
Posted 05/08/2011   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vergis92, I'm afraid your stamp is a forgery.

There were no genuine inverted centres in this issue.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3137 Posts
Posted 05/08/2011   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good news David, but OK as in "not forgeries" or "not reprints"?
Nigel
Valued Member
United Kingdom
496 Posts
Posted 05/08/2011   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nigel
Looking at the thread I reckon they are not forgeries, but (as I am finding out) with a lot of old stamps reprints are always a possibility. The good thing is they didn't cost me anything substantial as they came in an old collection I bought a while back, so at least I can't be out of pocket, and they look OK in my Greek collection!
United States
1 Posts
Posted 07/24/2011   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yanni48 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello friends,

The way to distinguish the fakes from the genuine copy's is simple. The genuine stamps all have framing lines on the stamps. The fakes do not and you'll notice that the stamps without the lines are always on different paper. I hope this is helpful. BTW, the inverted stamp pictured in this article is genuine and this issue also is found imperforate. Of the 6 issues shown in the beginning of this article only the 5 lepta and the 20 lepta are genuine.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 01/19/2012   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Eagle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had posted this in a new thread before I was aware of this one.

Why are there forgeries and reprints of these particular stamps? And is there a reason why they are not in Scott's?
Thanks again.
Donna

Valued Member
Denmark
435 Posts
Posted 06/18/2014   02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can gather information about forgeries of Crete (incl. these stamps) here:

http://stampforgeries.com/forged-stamps-of-crete/
Edited by ClassicalStamps - 06/18/2014 08:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3137 Posts
Posted 06/18/2014   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's good to see this thread alive again.

Be careful with images on http://stampforgeries.com/forged-stamps-of-crete/

For example, of the Russian Administration one metallik blue stamps the left hand example is also a forgery (although labelled as "genuine").

The site does recommend the best handbook on Crete which is by Rienk Feenstra & Friends.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6751 Posts
Posted 06/18/2014   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good catch, Nigel!

Will you be emailing them to let them know?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1235 Posts
Posted 06/18/2014   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for the really helpful info here on this great thread. I've just checked mine and at least they are not forgeries. I may have missed it, but how do you tell reprints from the original printing?
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 15,751Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05