Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crete: 1905 Revolutionary Govt Lithographs.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 14,988Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reviving this thread with this interesting set of imperf pairs (Yvert 9-14). Came buried in a Central American lot - previous owner misfiled it under Costa Rica, so not too far off from Crete :)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
516 Posts
Posted 10/23/2021   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice find.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3103 Posts
Posted 10/24/2021   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello gmot,

These are very nice examples and all appear to be originals rather than reprints.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
Posted 10/24/2021   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@niglec - well, that's certainly nice to hear, I know Crete is a minefield of reprints & forgeries. As I don't collect Crete, will be selling these, once I do some research on them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7143 Posts
Posted 10/24/2021   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cherrystone has this for sale. Is it genuine?

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3103 Posts
Posted 10/24/2021   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rogdcam,

I'm not sure but I would guess this Cherrystone stamp is a reprint.

I would expect an original stamp to have cleaner printing of the mesh pattern in the top section.

The reprints were created by the original printer from the original transfers but with new stones.

I wonder whether any original stamps exist with the king's head inverted?

Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 10/24/2021   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the eyes it looks life less…compared to the others

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3103 Posts
Posted 10/24/2021   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 2dr perfed with head inverted is listed by Vlastos. The imperfs are listed also with a note that they are without gum. But there is no listing for any imperf with center inverted.

That's very interesting.

My Greek catalogues are now rather old but for what it's worth my 2005 Vlastos catalogue doesn't mention either the perforated 1dr or 2dr stamps as existing with any of the centre/head errors but it does list three errors (double centre, inverted centre and without centre) for both the imperf 1dr and 2dr.

I have never seen examples of any of these errors close up to check whether they were originals or reprints.

I suspect in either case they would be printer's waste or deliberate errors but I would like to learn more.

My 2008 Hellas (Karamitsos) catalogue doesn't mention any of these centre errors.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   01:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's my erroneous statement that nigelc is quoting.

nigelc, you are correct that the listed varieties only involve the imperfs. I have deleted my post.

I have a 2012 Vlastos vol. 2. What clarified things for me was the recent reported change of the imperf center inverted variety from catalog number 46Aaab to 46Ab. I suppose I'm too used to catalog listings being more obvious since a subvariety of something like (say) 5a is normally listed in Vlastos exactly as "5ab".

In any case, it's interesting to see the price on this since it cataloged 20 euros (2012). There's been a big price rise on cinderellas lately, but still.
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/25/2021 01:48 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@nigelc or @hy-brasil - would one of you be so kind as to tell what the Vlastos catalogue values the imperf set at? I don't have a copy of that catalogue as yet, and Yvert only values the perf set. Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3103 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a 2012 Vlastos vol. 2. What clarified things for me was the recent reported change of the imperf center inverted variety from catalog number 46Aaab to 46Ab. I suppose I'm too used to catalog listings being more obvious since a subvariety of something like (say) 5a is normally listed in Vlastos exactly as "5ab".

Yes, the numbers are a mess in my 2005 edition.

They appear in the following order:

46 - 1dr perf

47A - 1dr imperf. This clearly is a misprint and should have been 46A.

Then come the 1dr imperf centre errors aa, ab and ac.

The complete number for any of these varieties is not explicit so could be any of 47Aaa, 47Aa, 47aa etc.

I believe logically these should be 46Aa, 46Ab and 46Ac.

47 - 2dr perf

47A (again!) - 2dr imperf

This is followed by the same three imperf centre varieties.

Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3103 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gmot,

The 2006 Vlastos prices for the imperf set of six are 45 euros unmounted mint (MNH) and 22 euros mounted mint (MH).

The individual prices for these are 2, 2, 2, 2, 20 & 20 euros unmounted mint and 1, 1, 1, 1, 10 & 10 euros mounted mint.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@niglec - thank you, most helpful!

~Greg
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot and all, the catalog values were unchanged in the 2012 Vlastos.
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/25/2021 5:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
Posted 10/25/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks hy-brasil!
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 14,988Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05