Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Collect Slogan Cancels?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 201Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
646 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm going through boxes of old envelops soak off the stamps. I see a lot of interesting slogan cancels.

I have no interest in saving them, but if someone does collect slogan cancels, let me know and I'll send you a bunch....

If you collect them, do you collect the whole envelop or just a cut square?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
932 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oldguy,

I collect slogan cancels. My duplicates get donated to the Post Mark Collectors Club and are checked against the museum's collection. Their duplicates are used for club fund raisers.

PM me.

Dan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
990 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Canadian slogan cancels if available. Would be intetested in them. You can pm me. Thanks

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2952 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being a postal history collector, I have a strong bias. To tell the most "story", philatelic items should be saved in their original condition - mint stamps, entire covers, etc. The value also correlates. Entire covers and cards are worth more than 2x4 clippings, which are worth more than the same soaked stamp. The 2x4 clippings have largely fallen out of favor. Yes, this becomes a storage challenge for many collectors. I would urge you to leave the covers intact and find stamps already soaked to fill your collecting needs. It is quite likely you can sell/trade the covers for more than enough to buy the same soaked stamps and more. They would find a good home here.

Add: oldguy, as an aside, what do you consider to be "old"?
Edited by John Becker - 08/10/2020 12:01 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
497 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would keep them on the cover. I would love to have some of them. I really don't need any from 1990-2000 but any other years would be great. I will send you 3 or 4 off paper stamps of similar age for each cover. I am sending you a PM.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
38 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnimatedFDCs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would absolutely agree that the best way to keep these covers is to keep them intact as opposed soaking them off. Many times the full cover with postmark is the best way to identify a particular usage, destination, or rate. And of course once the stamp is off the cover there's no going back.
Incidentally this also hold true for things like slogan meter cancels. In the past collectors would either save a 2 x 4 cut as mentioned deadlier or cut off the top strip of the envelope. But in both cases it sometimes makes identifying a sender difficult or impossible.
Lastly is basic first day covers which were used for commercial or advertising purposes. I have heard of many collectors throwing out the original letters or cards that came in these first day covers. But this often makes identifying a commercial use impossible.
Closing note, whenever possible items should be keptt in the original condition.
Just my thoughts for what they're worth...
Ron
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 201Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05