Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grenada KGV Five Shillings

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 441Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
418 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jony78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding this stamp, stamp is perf 12.

First I have around 15 copys of this stamp but this image is very blurry compared to others, I simply put it down to a poor printing but whilst reading my new commonwealth catalogue came across the term albino frame print saying can be identified by blurry lines, im not saying im thinking this is in any way but it peaked my curiosity, a google/eBay search has left me even more confused,the stamps I've viewed claiming to be albino double print just looked a bit heavy on the ink? can some one give me a link or an idiots guide to albino frames and how to identify them.

Second question is regarding this stamp, the notes on the "line on sail" variety for this issue state that it was a flaw that developed gradually between 1943 and 1950, I can see a line left and very faint to right but there is no mention of the flaw on the 5/- I also have a 2/- with almost identical line, no other copys, and I have multiples have this line.

thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1498 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always thought an albino impression was an impression with no ink.

The line on sail was partially retouched later on, according to Gibbons. What they don't tell us is when that was.

Whether you have an early state or a retouched state I could not say.

Either way, you may have the discovery copy on the 5/- value!

I have no data on the printings of the 5/- but the BWISC may be able to help:

https://bwisc.org/

Hope this helps.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2711 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The albino frame can be difficult to see with straight frames.In the stamp below the inside of the frame is a bit rounded in one part so it stands out better.You can notice the embossed portion left by the uninked plate.
(Siegel auction stamp)

Edited by perf12 - 08/11/2020 07:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
516 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, perf12. I didn't know what an albino frame was till now. Given the info you've provided, I don't think the OP shows an albino impression anywhere.
Edited by EMaxim - 08/10/2020 9:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a flaws database on my web site with submissions from various collectors. I have two versions of the line in sail flaw which I have attached below so you can see them. It looks like you have the reparied version which has a shorter line. Notice that you also have the dots to the upper left of the frame which comes with the repaired line. See the image below if you don't see the dots.
Hopefully this helps answer your question. If you would like to view all the flaws, please visit this web site. http://www.kgvistamps.com/kgvistamps/flaws.aspx

Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Edited by KGVIStamps - 08/11/2020 08:25 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
418 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies, I was way off on what I thought an albino print was but now understand exactly what it is thanks to the links and scans.

In regard to the line on sail, thats great info, I've checked my 2/- and its the same, it has 2 dots in upper left so must be repaired state aswell, one question I do have is why there is no listing for the flaw (pre repair) for the 5/- or maybe its to do with the dates of printing? either way its a great little find that lead me down a rabbit hole to discover a few new things.

thanks again
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGVIStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a vast number of flaws - especially for the King George VI material. Most of them are not listed in the Stanley Gibbons Catalogue because they don't really have room to publish all of them. Richard Lockyer - who submitted the original version of the flaw to me is the person who is responsible for most of the King George VI flaws that are actually listed in Gibbons. He told me one time that in order to get one listed it has to be found on multiple stamps with the position confirmed (usually in a block with some portion of the selvedge). It also helps if the flaw has an interesting name - like the Ascension Torpedo Flaw. Richard also has a pretty close relationship to the Gibbons editorial staff which also gives him access to propose additions to the catalog.
Learn more about King George VI stamps at www.KGVIStamps.com
Valued Member
United Kingdom
418 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KGVI, whilst my main area of collecting is QEII errors and flaws im now at a point where most items are expensive and purchases few and far between, im thinking KGVI commonwealth would be a good opportunity to continue as I already have a vast amount of material to search, I bookmarked your site which is impressive, I also notice that most line on sail flaws for sale on eBay are actually the repaired state with the dots but still asking for considerable sums and identified as the original flaw, I think a little side note in gibbons wouldnt go a miss for the issue.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
418 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Heres the 2/- Copy I also have

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1498 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamp jony78

You may want to change the thread title from KGV to KG6 (or KGVI) though!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6022 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of interesting things to be found on the commonwealth KGVI issues. This isn't listed as far as I know and I have no clue as to what it is or what caused it.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have no clue as to what it is or what caused it.

Fabulous!
that is a classic "perforation chad" adhered to the print die.
Best / clearest I have ever seen.

I have about half a dozen examples.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6022 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is brilliant Rod! Never occurred to me but after looking at it I'm sure you are spot on!

Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2829 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would recommend the thread title be corrected to state KGVI not KGV.
Al
Edited by angore - 08/15/2020 06:42 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
418 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I cant seem to edit the title.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
418 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Slightly off-topic of KGVI, but PENCF. for pence, still have a lot of Grenada to go through.

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05