Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Complete Fourth Bureau 1922-26 Series

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 57 / Views: 1,813Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4765 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not always about the size.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is not always about the size.

uh oh....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Love the images on this series, particularly the 30 cent Bison. Congrats on completion.
Revcollector and Rodgcam: maybe your opinions on morals, ethics and political correctness would best apply to another forum. Our history, including dealing with race has been in evolution since the country's founding. Obviously it is still evolving and imperfect—probably to be expected with the multinational and multicultural basis of our society that defines us and in my opinion strengthens us.

You don't like Jackson—yet he is the president most identified with democracy which applied more to the have nots than the haves, and his democracy was a descendent of the originator of the concept—Jefferson; both sinners in your view I guess.

Don't like the current incumbent? Wonder why we are choosing between Trump and Biden instead of Jefferson and John Adams? Don't blame them; blame democracy. When you submit to the will of the people democracy is what you get. This is how Jackson got elected—same for Trump etc.

Back to stamps and rev's comment that at least Jackson was not part of that set—my comment is I think the 3 cent Jackson in violet on the 1902 regular series is one of our prettiest stamps.
Edited by funcitypapa - 08/13/2020 5:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the unforeseen benefits of philately is its potential to reveal historic insight through artifacts. For example, U.S. definitive series such as the subject of this thread don't just celebrate historic figures – they set the bar for recognizing what kinds of people are (or are not) worthy of honor.

From 1847 onward, subjects deemed suitable for depiction on stamps were by default limited to white men. This convention would not be challenged until 1902, when Martha Washington appeared on the Second Bureau 8c denomination. A somewhat wider net was cast with the Fourth Bureau, which presents the image of Hollow Horn Bear on the 14c denomination. But rather than enjoying the dignity of having his name on the stamp, as was the case with all the other specimens in this issue, this poor chap was merely labeled "American Indian." This would be analogous to a stamp depicting Pat Boone with the label "White Man."

Then in 1940, Booker T. Washington would be the first negro depicted on a U.S. postage stamp (Scott 873). This was accomplished with no small amount of consternation and heartburn; a compromise was struck so that Washington was placed on a 10c denomination, which would see far less usage that the 3c denominations used then for first-class purposes. Similar compromise would lead to the inclusion of Gen Robert E. Lee on the 30c denomination of the Liberty series in 1955.

Not until the late 1960s did the U.S. Post Office Department make a concerted effort to broaden the demographics of Americans worthy of depiction on its postage stamps.

While the subject of "diversity" so often causes disgruntlement in today's discourse, it is a useful framework for pursuing the historical forensics embodied in philately in general, and in definitive issues in particular. In this way, stamp collecting reveals as much about the artist as it does the art, not unlike the Cave of the Trois Freres in France with its prehistoric paintings. Statues may be pulled down, but stamps are both enduring and ubiquitous. As I have suggested, the U.S. definitive issues provide an unintended record of American self-perception, revealing an elastic, durable, and ultimately honest declaration of who it is and who it holds dear.

A grad student could squeeze an interesting thesis from this, I think.

Happy stampin'
Edited by BFRomeos - 08/13/2020 5:33 pm
Learn More...
8370 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   10:24 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We are a part of history and history is a part of us. And if truth be told, we have been mistreating and taking advantage of each other since humans first appeared on earth. No society of humans have been immune from this behavior, horrors like slavery and discrimination against other groups can be found in every single social division/culture throughout the last 200,000 years. We should be seeking to create a better history and that includes using our past history as educational opportunity. Rather than concentrating on past history (which cannot be changed) our efforts are far better spent on improving our current behavior.

For example, perhaps we would be better served if we focused on China's current enslavement of Uighurs. I have real ethical and moral issues with what the Chinese Communist Party does to its citizens; yet I have Chinese manufactured items in my household right now. Am I willing to stop going to Walmart and buying Chinese merch? I would feel quite hypocritical if I used my Chinese Apple iPhone camera while protesting racial injustice. Do millionaire sports stars protesting racial injustice in the US care that they are being sponsored by Nike and that their Nike Air Max sneakers are made at Nike's Qingdao Taekwang factory by Uighur slaves?

Protesting past history seems inane to me when there is contemporary history being made that could be changed to help those who are currently suffering. It is very easy for me to write this post or go to a protest today, it is far harder for me to make real, meaningful sacrifices in my own life.

Stamps keep me connected with history; but this connection with past history is useless if I chose to ignore the lessons that history teaches us.
Don
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gjmmaddog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From a newbie,

What hinges were used on that display.

Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5034 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're just clear mounts, not hinges, if you mean the original album page of stamps.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@gjmmaddog:

I use and recommend these mounts:

Be careful with them, however, because once adhered, they ain't coming back up without doing some serious damage to the page.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4765 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are those the open top mounts?
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Rodgcam: Yup
Edited by BFRomeos - 08/13/2020 5:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5034 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BF - if you use just a dab of glue-stick, they'll come off OK, except on older, thinner leaves.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6939 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"You don't like Jackson—yet he is the president most identified with democracy which applied more to the have nots than the haves, and his democracy was a descendent of the originator of the concept—Jefferson; both sinners in your view I guess."

VERY much so. Jefferson's idea of democracy was very much in the Greek Ideal. So that white men of substance would have the vote, and everyone else should bow to them for the scraps they were thrown. And he was a southern aristocrat, so he was totally in favor of both slavery and the 3/5ths rule. The more one reads about him the less likable he becomes. Jackson was a populist who loved slavery and committed mass murder of Native Americans. You might read up on them sometime.
As I have said before, stamps are political in nature, they cannot help but be so. The original point of this whole discussion was that this set is somehow much more well designed then everything that is being issued today, a blanket position that I disagree with on principle. Like most definitive sets, it contains some truly great people along with some that have very large clay feet. That is the nature of things, but pointing that out is also a part of philately, albeit one not practiced as often as other areas.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4765 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev - I will put you down as a "maybe" when it comes to Jefferson.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
361 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, and not just for completing the set — that is a nice looking page. Well done.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
856 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
well set out, nicely coloured cream or Ivory paper and a plain background to highlight the stamps...well done and an excellent display!
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 57 / Views: 1,813Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05