Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A Reference For Which Press (Or Printer) Was Used On What Issue For Modern Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 340Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
476 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Philazilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently started collecting varieties of modern stamps and am interested in the changing production methods post-rotary press. The Scott catalog is a good reference until sometime in the 70s or 80s. Before that it tells you if it was Giori, Huck, Combination or Andreotti. On later issues (right around 1980), it isn't clear to me which press was used on most stamps. Some entries call out the press used, but others don't. And on post-BEP stamps, is there a reference for which contract printer printed each issue?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2339 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   9:46 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Private printers issues are easy for most of them as it will say "Pl# block of 4, 4# +P" or + some other letter and you just need to know that P stands for Ashton Potter etc.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @eyeonwall! Do you know if there is a key to all of the private printers?
Pillar Of The Community
1364 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mystic has this information. Here's the listing for a 1990 stamp chosen at random:

https://www.mysticstamp.com/Product...es/2449/USA/

If the info is not in Scott's, where would Mystic get it? Linns has an annual publication with lots of information on each stamp issued that year, but it is expensive to maintain a complete set of these. I've purchased it at least once when I wanted background on a stamp relating to an exhibit of an FDCs. The "Souvenir Page" FDCs issued by the USPS has this and a lot more information. You can usually find one of these on eBay for most any stamp that has one. Here's what I found at eBay for the stamp linked above:
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the some of the private stamp printing firms
who have produced stamps for the USPS.

American Bank Note Company (ABNC) PB inscription = A+ plate numbers

Sennett Security Products (SSP) PB = S

Avery Dennison (AVR) PB = V

Banknote Corporation of America,Inc. (BCA) PB = B

Ashton Potter (USA) Ltd. (APU) PB = P

The last two BCA and APU presently print all US stamps.

You can find this info going through all the Postal Bulletins
from 2001 to 2020
https://about.usps.com/resources/po...bulletin.htm

Prior to those years you can check here:

http://www.uspostalbulletins.com/pd...oup=48&id=48
Edited by lithograving - 08/12/2020 10:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2339 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   11:19 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
S was also Stamp Venturers (different version if essentially the same company)
K = KCS
M = 3M
C = CCL
D - Ditler Brothers (or was it Dittler?)

some of the "printers" were actually just contractors who subcontracted out the actual printing to companies like Guilford Gravure or Fergusson

[why do I always hit Post and then check for typo's?]
Edited by eyeonwall - 08/12/2020 11:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also same with Sennett Security Products the so called printing contractor who used the sub contractor
Banknote Corporation of America to print the stamps.
Until Banknote finally got the contract for themselves.
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
[why do I always hit Post and then check for typo's?]

Join the crowd.

Why do I always type Yera for year

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05