Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India - Soruth State Stamp Identification Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 185Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
37 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mickb007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I've been working through a nice pile of old India State stamps and came across a block that appears to be Scott type A4, but the colour is black, which I'm not finding in my Scott catalogue.
I've noticed some of the other Feudatory States use the same design but black colour for officials. Could this be the case here?
Any help in identifying this is appreciated...
Cheers!
Mick Bruha
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
India
366 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   04:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The block is outright fake.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
India
366 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what the original stamps look like.

It is the complete sheet of 5 (51) of Saurashtra/Sorath 1878 4A of a Kori vermilion imperf. typograph (SG 17/Sc 12), printed on horizontally laid paper by Nitiprakash Chhapkhanu, Junagarh, issued on Jan 16,1878 primarily for payment of postage for parcels, registration fee as well as for use as revenue stamp.
Valued Member
United States
37 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickb007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help joy!
I'm coming across a few of these blocks printed on the same type of paper.
Probably all fakes too...
Regards,
Mick
Valued Member
India
366 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IFS stamps and covers are minefields of fakes and forgeries.

If the images of other IFS stamps are posted, I can help to segregate the genuine ones.
Valued Member
United States
37 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickb007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Joy!
I'll keep you posted of new "finds".
Regards,
Mick
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 185Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05