Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storage Solution For Worldwide (Steiner) Collectors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 412Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
....and our Libraries.
The "Compactus"
Each unit is referred to as an "Tier"
Rolling on wheels in track.

Currently chasing a 4 tier, latest results suggest around $3,000 retail.
That should just about hold my collection.
1.5 Tiers for Libraries.

Best result so far is an "as new" is $1,800 but hoping, persistance will manage to secure one used around $700 -$750.
A "must" for the man-cave.

Footprint: Length 2670mm, Depth 1280mm Height 2150mm

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 08/13/2020 07:27 am

Learn More...
8372 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   08:09 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would imagine (due to shipping costs) this solution is only for our Australian members. But looks like a good space saving idea.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5040 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on your taste in woodwork, but looks expensive compared to a set of old bookcases, perhaps adjustable, of the library type. Got a plasterboard/plaster-and-lath wall? Many years ago, I knocked out a wall in my sitting-room prior to replastering, then had a change of heart and created a crude-but-effective bookcase

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Effective, no doubt. But hardly what I'd call crude. Nice work!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
492 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the idea Rod222, if you don't want people to see your beautiful binders and books.

Also, Nice GeoffHa but where are the stamps?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work Geoff !
Alas, in my situation, I have to deal with Air Conditioning, which can distribute fine dust over everything in time. (Wheatbelt region, harvesting etc)

When living in Thailand, the farmers would burn the rice stubble, the fallout from that was extraordinary !

Quote:
I would imagine (due to shipping costs) this solution is only for our Australian members.

Don,
compactus is world wide.
The trick is, to find Office furniture used resellers. We have heaps in Western Australia, which encourages me to get early types, at a bargain.

The modern ones are electronic, and very expensive.

The Western Australian Philatelic society, uses Compactus for their libraries.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5040 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wkusau - the stamps are, sadly, all over the place. In a bookcase, on shelves, on top of shelves, on top of wardrobes. If I ever get round to moving, I'll have correctly sized shelving to accommodate them!

Rod - dust is a probem for me too, chiefly because older houses seem to generate heaps of the stuff. I've always liked the look of those old Globe Wernicke modular legal bookcases, but they're expensive, and glazed bookcases can carry their own problems.
Pillar Of The Community
803 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I knew a woman who hated dust so much that she covered each tall bookcase she had with a sheet. Solved the dust problem. I suppose some other similar solution might work. All my stuff is in open bookcases of the usual type. I just dust a lot and we have a whole-house air filtering system built into our air conditioning system. That's another way to deal with both dust and air pollution. I just replace the huge air filter in the air box every few months. I'd do that before I invested in sliding bookcases since an air filtering system is good for everyone's health. And it helps improve the value of my home!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   02:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and glazed bookcases can carry their own problems.

I have agonised over this for a few years, the compactus was my recent revelation, up till now I have been storing in steel lockable filing cabinets.
No dust. perfect.

I was just about to brick in two unwanted windows, and install bookshelves (glazed was to be my preference)
now all I have to do, is leave alone till I get inspiration how to disguise the compatus in my lounge environment, I don't want to have the compactus in the new shed "man cave"
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
glazed bookcases can carry their own problems.

what's wrong with glazed bookcases? This one houses my primary collection.

Edited by Germania - 08/14/2020 4:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5040 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're lovely, but can't they be prone to damp/humidity?
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Except for a few days in the Summer high humidity is not a problem. That's what air conditioning is for. If high humidity were the norm glazing would not not keep it out and I would be using a dehumidifier or silica gel.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I keep a record of my daily temps and humidity.
Western Australia My indoor humidity during winter sits around 56%-61%

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5040 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Air-conditioning and homes in England aren't a common couple, although that will doubtless change with the increasingly hotter summers and heavier rainfall.
Learn More...
8372 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   5:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion conservation of paper is more than not allowing it to get damp. It is also important to control RH and temperature fluctuations.
Paper 'breathes' when the RH and/or temperature changes by trying to equilibrate with the surrounding environment. When paper is frequently trying to reach an equilibrium with the surrounding environment, it is more likely to also be exchanging other atmospheric elements like sulfur dioxide, hydrogen chloride, and nitrogen oxides (acids).
Don

Edit: Wooden shelves and bookcases can also be problematic in the conservation of paper. Wood is acidic and can outgas acidic vapors; it must be properly sealed before being used to store paper/stamps properly.

This page provides additional info on collections conservation practices
http://www.conservator.com/collecti...ervation.htm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 412Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05