Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand Paper Types 1908-34

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 193Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
516 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Gibbons provides a nice description of the differences between the papers of De la Rue, Jones, Cowan, and Wiggins Teape. Nevertheless, as a relative beginner here, I'm having trouble sorting the typographed KGV issues of 1915-33 (SG 435-52) and the related officials of 1915-34 (SG O88-99). What's the veteran collector's secret to a quick and easy sorting process? (Or should I simply be reminding myself that one of the chief pleasures of collecting the classics lies in overcoming the challenges they present?)
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am having trouble understanding exactly what you seek.

Perhaps, using Scott catalogue,
"In 1916 the 1.5d, 2,3,6d 0f the 1915-16 issue, and the 8d of the 1909,
were printed on paper intended for the long rect stamps.

Ergo, the wmks are set wide apart, so that the smaller stamps show only a small part of the wmk, or none at all"

Helpful?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4609 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stanley Gibbons uses several words to describe the different papers, but the Campbell Paterson Handbook-Catalogue of New Zealand Stamps describes them with more detail.

For example, on the chalk-surfaced papers #2 Jones, the catalog says, "There are two grades of this paper (both horizontal mesh) one being similar in texture to 'De La Rue', the other thicker. Both have colorless gum and a distinctive watermark, the N and Z being large and close together, the star being larger than in the other papers. It is characteristic of the thinnest paper that stamps are not good impressions, a white flecked appearance being commonly seen."

So, if you really want to "get into" the NZ papers, you might need a Campbell-Paterson catalogue.
Valued Member
New Zealand
63 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bruce Webber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also have difficulties in sorting this issue and mainly because for many stamps it is difficult to see the watermark easily. here are some thoughts:

1.Recess-printed and Surface printed are easily separated - the crosshatch pattern in the background is very fine in the recess-printed issues.
2. Any watermark that is easily seen is probably De La Rue paper or the lithographic watermark on Art paper. Both of these are easily separated. The De La Rue watermark has good separation between the "N" , "Z" and the Star. If the Star is close to the "NZ" then it is Jones paper and if the "N" and "Z" are close together but the star is apart then either Cowan paper or Wiggins Teape paper
3. Any vertical mesh paper that hasn't a lithographic watermark is Wiggins Teape paper.

Hopefully these thoughts help. Good luck in your sorting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
516 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, all. I've stumbled into this paper problem because for NZ I've gone with Gibbons which, by reference to paper types, distinguishes many more varieties of these stamps than Scott does. Gibbons lays emphasis on the relative thickness of the papers, the quality of their finish, and the nature of their gum. Thickness and finish are relative terms. One has to have a fair number in order to make comparisons. And differences of gum are meaningless unless the stamps are in mint condition. Gibbons does mention watermark differences, but not with the degree of specificity that you have provided. Watermark and mesh are where I'll concentrate my efforts now. I'll also keep an eye out for a copy of Campbell-Paterson. Again, many thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
648 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   08:11 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the key lies in having a range of material to compare.

Firstly, look at items that can only be one thing. I'm no expert but a 3d chocolate cancelled between May 1919 and February, 1925 perf 14 x 15 can only be SG 440. A perf 14 x 14 can only be SG 449. There you have examples of DLR paper for the former and Cowan thick paper for the latter.

Sort, practice, resort, practice.....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
516 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice. It would make sense to find or acquire at least one clear and certain example of each. Not necessarily easy, but that's why the classics retain our interest, no?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
648 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   10:15 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. By dealing with the absolutes first you can create a framework within which to deal with the uncertain stuff.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 193Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05