Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Us Your Panama Pacific Stamp(S) A.k.a. Pan Pacs

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 987Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
362 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jleb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There were a number of Panama Pacifics posted in the now-locked recent purchases thread, with some comments that folks were finding the series increasingly impressive as packing atmosphere, detail, and interest into a small footprint. So perhaps there might be interest in having a thread pulling these issues together.

Here is a 400A I recently obtained, scanned on the album page at the right of the 400 I've had for a while. That completes my perf 12s.

I do know this 400A is on the lighter end of the 400A spectrum. The coloration does not appear as deep and vivid as that shown by Kirks in the thread https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...whichpage=1&
although scanner difference is a complicating factor. In my case, the yellow of the 400 is rendered more orange by this scan, reflecting a known issue with my machine.

Anyway, I thought with the success of some other series-oriented threads that perhaps having a Pac Pac thread might be of interest if any would care to join in....

- Jonathan

Send note to Staff
Edited by jleb1979 - 08/14/2020 1:19 pm

Valued Member
Learn More...
264 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice examples; this set is notoriously hard to find well-centered. Been looking for the right 404 for some months. The age-old "how much do I spend versus nicely centered."

Good topic, curious how many different shades there are out the beyond what Scott lists.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6965 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the dangers of this set that I have seen is someone taking a wide margin but off center example of 400A and reperfing it into a 404. A well centered example wouldn't be touched of course.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4803 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 400A:

My 404:
Valued Member
237 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up the #400 (org yellow) a couple weeks ago. Love the color!

Have the perf 10's used. Mint ones out of range for me now.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2338 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know it is just a 397, nut its nice

Valued Member
Learn More...
264 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice stamps all around!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
393 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My series - all MNH

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
362 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the one that most pleases me is the 399/403 showing the rays of the sun over Golden Gate, pre-bridge.
These really seem luminous.

I, too, need a 404 to finish the series. That is a giant beauty, Rogdcam.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
948 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   10:28 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only recently started collecting this set. I'm attempting to only get NH very well centered stamps. It may take a while. Here's what I have so far. (phone photo, not a scan - sry)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2948 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will risk running off onto a usage tangent. International machine cancel from the Model Post Office at the Exposition on a double-wide fold-out postcard published by Albetype.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
362 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, that is a spectacular postcard.

A lot of nice stamps!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1172 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorite album pages:

Added: As a general rule, I opt for centering over MNH. But for this series I made an exception. In early 2017, I decided to upgrade the set from used to MNH VF+. Over a 4 month period, I obtained PSE certified & graded copies of all except 404. After searching another 18 months for a VF+ MNH 404, I decided that I would settle for a lightly-hinged copy as long as I deemed the centering adequate. Then the 404 pictured above showed up in an auction, offered as MNH without a certificate. I bid and won it, albeit barely. It immediately went to the PF for certification ... and came back as MNH with no faults, graded 90XQ.
Edited by JLLebbert - 08/16/2020 12:26 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
440 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, JLLebbert, those are some nicely centered Pan-Pacs! Are they graded? MNH? Regardless, it is a beautiful page - congrats.
Valued Member
Learn More...
264 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice set JL. Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
362 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see why that is a favorite page, JL. Very nice indeed.
Nice layout, too. What album is that?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 987Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05