Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Haiti Muller 300. Any Additional Info?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
21 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mpobe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, I'd recently acquired this cover and was curious where I can find additional info. I have the AAMC set, the Haitian Philatelic Society books 'Early Air Mail of Haiti' by Peter C. Jeannopoulos and 'Haiti's First Flights' by Barbara A. Levine as well as all of the pertinent PDFs by Huber and Singley. So, who and where is Muller??
Thanks!

Send note to Staff
Edited by mpobe - 08/14/2020 3:38 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest you contact Daniel Kelleher Auctions,
Please post your results....I could find no Catalogue by Muller
so as to add to our knowledge base

From Google

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 08/15/2020 3:50 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go..........

Valued Member
United States
45 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redsfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Muller is the standard catalog for collectors of airmail covers. It gives approx total of covers carried on many, many flights.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mpobe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. 'Frank' Muller huh? lol
Just proves you don't know until you know.....
Pillar Of The Community
1071 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The correct name for the Muller catalog is "CATALOG des AÉROGRAMMES du MONDE ENTIER" The author is Frank Muller and it was last published in 1950. It was published in Paris, France and it is written entirely in French. One needs to know at least a bit of to use it effectively, starting with the French names of countries to find them easily since they are alphabetized by their French names. The countries start with France, then countries that were French colonies at the time follow in alphabetical order, then the countries for the rest of the world are listed in alphabetical order. So for example to find South Africa you need to look for Afrique du Sud in the A section. Or to find Germany you need to look in the A section under Allemagne, and so on. If you do not know a little French, then With a little practice and a using an on-line French translator one can learn enough of the specific terms in this catalog in a short time to be able to use it. The values that are listed are of use only to the extent that they indicate relative rarity and not actual value today. Since this book has been out of print since 1950 it is very hard to find one and when you do they typically go for a large amount of money. The one shown in the previous post is a reprint by Postilion Publications and is a set of photocopied pages that have been punched along their left edges and placed in a plastic binder. These binders of photocopied pages tend to be the ones you can find for sale more often than not, and their prices while high are usually well below that of an original copy. Muller lists a great many first flights that you will not find in other catalogs, but keep in mind that since it was printed in 1950 Muller only has older flights from before then.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mpobe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Kimo. Great info.

Does anyone know where I can get the a copy of the OOP A philatelic guide to the postal history of West Indian Aerial Express and Pan American Airways, 1927-1931 by Norman Alan Cohen?

I understand it may come at a premium.

Thank you
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6897 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mpobe, I suppose you have already googled it. You might try Abe books, they have a lot of out-of-print stuff and you never know what you can find,

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
1071 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing else about the Muller catalog. It does not include any illustrations of covers or cachets. The listings are essentially line items that include the date of the flight, the city from which it was sent to the city where it was received, and additional information such as the airline or if there was a famous pilot, a note as to whether there was a special cachet but not describing it if there was one, the number of covers flown when known, and the value back then. Sometimes there is a bit more or less information but there is little detail. The advantage of this catalog over some others is the Muller tends to be relatively complete in its listings with some flights you do not see listed elsewhere, but sometimes it is incomplete compared to some other catalogs and references. It is a very useful reference for one's aerophilatelic reference library but should be used in conjunction with other catalogs and references. So for example, if you are especially interested in Haiti first flights then you need to also have Peter Jeannopoulos and Barbara Levine's books in your own reference library.

Edited by Kimo - 09/15/2020 7:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mpobe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kimo, again, thanks for taking the time.
I have the Jeannopoulos and Levine books as well as an 4th Ed AAMC which I tend to update soon. I have joined the Haiti Philately Society and have access to all they have, and its quite a bit. Missing is the Mueller and mentioned above 'philatelic guide to the postal history of West Indian Aerial Express'. Piecing it all together is some work and could be a bit daunting but it reminds me of what attracted me to stamps way back in 1972.
I keep telling myself its the journey and not the destination. lol
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05