Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Way To Part With A Lifetime Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,067Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
34 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Casey Magoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There is an auction in Sarasota FL Saturday morning (Aug 15), by Freedom Auction Company. They are selling a huge collection broken up into 13 lots. The lots have 1 photo each that show a bunch of mystery albums, tubs, etc. These are too big to ship and no one knows what is in there. What a shame that no one would take the time to sort and identify what could be a great collection. Don't let his happen to you. If you live nearby you could really score. I do not have anything to do with this auction nor am I providing a link.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Casey Magoo - 08/14/2020 4:27 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1390 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you had provided a link, then those of us who are curious would not have wasted the time trying to find the 14 postage stamp lots.

What might be a shame is that the owner did no preparation for his passing. Freedom is an auction company specializing in estate and business liquidations, not postage stamps and related. Given the wide range and amount of collectibles in this auction, I don't fault the company for how it lotted the philatelic material. The gentleman's philatelic material does remind me of the large lot collections that one often sees in Kelleher, Cherrystone, Rasdale, etc, auctions.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1586 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
262 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm more upset my friend didn't tell me about this; dated her a few times some 25 years ago but her brother owns this auction house and she's been pretty good about letting me know when stamps come up.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   12:42 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks very interesting. Can't wait to see what some of these lots go for. Thank you for posting.
Mike Pascoe, PhD
https://linktr.ee/pascoe
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4764 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see bundleware, bags of loose stamps and subscription covers for the most part. Fireplace starter or a dream lot for a cold Winter's night?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1298 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   09:25 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could go up there for lunch and the auction but I'm with Rogdcam, the Blues look pretty thin too. I'm going to stay home and bid on Rasdale.
Valued Member
Learn More...
262 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you been there before KRelyea? Went there once to look at some lots; but all were FDCs (which I just don't collect) of pretty common material.
Pillar Of The Community
803 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of stuff, but more like a hoarder than a collector. The guy just bought a lot of everything, and that's not a recipe for depth in anything. The stamp lots look like beginners' quality, and I doubt they're worth much.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1298 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   08:15 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have occasionally looked at their interesting material but I've never seen any must haves. Plus going to Sarasota is expensive, my wife found a "lobster" restaurant there and she always wants to chow down.

Actually Sarasota is one of our favorite day trips. There are lots of things to do and see.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5034 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may not have won much in the way of auction lots lately, but this has been outweighed by lockdown-ordering of lobster and other shellfish by post from the north-east coast (of England, not North America, where the supermarket stuff comes from).
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
491 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the prices realized. They were extremely high. 3-4 times the high estimate on most.
Valued Member
Learn More...
262 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the restaurant KR? Grew up in Sarasota; folks still live there.

And I've asked my friend about how her brother determines or sorts philatelic material for auction just out of curiosity.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
303 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   05:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Buying any of those lots based on the photos given would be a real gamble. However, on balance I think a better gamble than similar lots sold on eBay.
New Zealand
2 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spectre12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is massive estate!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,067Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05