Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

French Colony Of Assinie - Ivory Coast

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 190Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
418 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jony78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sold this stamp via eBay months ago, I didnt give it much attention as I was raising funds to buy an item I really wanted, I sent it tracked and signed but it never arrived, buyer wanted a refund so refunded and intended on making a claim from Royal Mail but forgot all about it, this is the first missing item I've ever had returned,
at the time I didnt realise how scarce the ASI lozenge cancel is as I couldnt find much info on similar items.
since then I've seen on Linns a cover with low values sold for a huge amount and checking previous sales and auctions I havent really found anything else to compare to, I couldnt find details of the sale to contact the buyer so figure ill just keep it now.

I know theres only a few known covers, does anyone have any links or images?

thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2712 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very rare cancel on the "Aigle" issue you have.
The cancel on your stamp has a partial double imprint.
The first post office in Assenie oped in 1863.Although 30 years prior mail was going through Assenie.
Only 4 values of the"Aigle" issues were used in Assenie.
The 10c,20c and from 1865 the 20c & 80c.
In conjonction to the lozenge ASI cancel you had markings on covers
like ""Etablissement de la Cote d'or Assenie" and from 1865:"Cote d'or et Gabon-Assenie".
In 1871 there was a diminuation of service.From 1887 cancel type "Assenie-Gabon" appeared.Then in 1890 "Grand-Bassam-Senegal" &
"Assam-Senegal".
In 1890 "Cote d'or en Afrique" & then in final "Cote d'Ivoire- Assenie".

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by perf12 - 08/15/2020 1:29 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
418 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was good fortune that is went undelivered and was returned, I've found a few sites with various information about how the cancel came into use but no used copy's other than the linns cover, I've seen lots of other 3 letter colony lozenges in auction results but not ASI.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
418 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Heres the link for the linns cover, just need to scroll through the photos at top.

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...lection.html
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2712 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think your cancel is genuine.It is crisp. The top curve in the "S" is smaller than the bottom, so OK.
Covers with multiples like this are always high priced.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 190Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05