Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Watching The Rasdale Auction And My Head Is Spinning

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,586Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community

United States
581 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 1typesetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anybody else watching this?

Most of the lots I've seen so far are blowing way past the estimates. Either they estimated really low or people are just throwing money out there with abandon.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
84 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, I'm hoping they run out of money before they get to my target lots later today and tomorrow.

First time biding with Rasdale. Is there SB (suggested bid), the suggested starting bid or suggested sell prices or their min? Items are going to 5-10x rate number regularly.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been laying off my stamp purchases and my savings have ballooned as a result. I can't believe how much I have saved over the past four months!

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
581 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   11:37 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The SB I believe is their estimate of what the lot should go for. I got my eye on a couple lots coming up but at this point I'm not very hopeful of scoring anything.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
412 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like these auctions are re-defining the term "feeding frenzy". Think I'll stay out of the water for a while.

I seem to recall an old saying about a fool and his money........
Edited by uboatnut - 08/15/2020 11:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   12:35 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. There have been 3 major US collection auctions within the last couple weeks and all the prices are through the roof. Several lots went at 5 times what I thought they were worth today. I did win one, but paid well more than I wanted. But it was either buy or run our of inventory in a few weeks. Here's hoping the market stays strong.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
84 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At least on the lots I want, the SB was low. My primary target I would have done a happy dance to pay 2x SB. After initial online bidding, the start was pushed to opening bid to 2.5x SB. Sill in my ballpark, but no happy dance. If it goes more than 3x SB, I'm out. I am purchasing for my collection and not to resale. Makes my price point a little different.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5028 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NYStamps and others just like them are bidding and they will pay whatever it takes. If NYStamps sees any interest in a lot they will punish you for even daring to bid. It has always been like this and now because of the dearth of material at auction combined with the demand on eBay in particular it is only worse (or better for the House).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1363 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   1:44 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched the US collections and I thought the bidding was more aggressive than it was in Kelleher. Hope later today nobody wants the same junk I do!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5028 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just watched some "nothing lots" go for Bentley money. This is officially stupid territory.
Valued Member
180 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The bidding is definitely more agressive than Kelleher. Some of this is in the crazy area. I just wonder if the current ebullience is 1) Demand driven... aka collectors having time to collect because of the pandemic 2) Supply driven... a general lack of material being offered up because of the pandemic 3) A reaction to the money printing(see Gold/Silver/Crypto/tech la la land) that might be ushering in a new area of collectible madness. or 4) something else that is not so obvious.

Popping up the popcorn and watching with great interest.

Bob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5028 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Online sellers ( eBay) such as NYStamps have been seeing vastly increased demand and higher sales prices but have had no place to spend that cash to restock and so here we are. Watch the General Foreign category for some truly outrageous prices realized. Like 15-20 times estimate prices.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
30177 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...and they say Stamp collecting is dying.

Quote:
I've been laying off my stamp purchases and my savings have ballooned as a result. I can't believe how much I have saved over the past four months!

Ditto, I have not purchased anything since June last year, IIRC, apart from 2 catalogues, and some penny stamps under $5.
I purchased my new computer $1,200 with the savings.

I am still surviving on lots I purchased when Australia had parity with the greenback. I originally thought I had over did it, but it has been my saviour during lockdown.
Edited by rod222 - 08/15/2020 2:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4694 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ooo. This talk is putting me in a selling mood.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4974 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People buying entertaintment during Covid .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1363 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WW wasn't so bad, I was 4 for 7 (25 volumes) but I had an interesting experience.

I bid lot 347 up to $3000 and lost it. After lot 362 there was a 20 lot gap in my wish list so I left the computer to feed the cats. When I got back they were auctioning lot 347 again. Before I could figure out what was going on they sold it for $1500. I sent a message complaining but I never heard back. We'll see what happens next.

I do wish they had sound like Kelleher.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,586Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 6.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05