Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Watching The Rasdale Auction And My Head Is Spinning

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,638Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was afraid of jus this scenario. Hoping the items I am interested in coming up later don;t go for crazy money or I will be out.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4988 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I won two lots ,just enough to keep me busy until the fall season and hoping to see better collection lots at that time .Rasdale put a lot more effort into this auction and it looks like it paid off for them .

They keep coming up with those massive bulk lots ,I can't figure out how people can justify the shipping cost with the weight of some of those lots with the price they realize, but if it is entertainment who cares .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
466 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering whether the "winner" of lot 347 was around and would post something here. My condolences; I've lost a lot to a surprise reopen before as well.

And it's not really a buyer's market, for sure. Lots of folks suddenly have a lot of spare indoors time, and either don't have stuff sitting around to do, or (especially in the case of the eBay resellers) don't have enough to do.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5007 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   7:11 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any more I always make sure to remain viewing sessions for at least 15 minutes after I win any lot, just in case the floor decides to reopen it. The house always favors floor and phone bidders over Internet, and frequently will reopen lots upon "Oops, sorry I missed it" requests.

It's not right, but it is what it is.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
509 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've asked Kelleher to reopen lots which they will do, but they have declined if the winner was an internet bidder and they don't know if that bidder is still around and active. Which I think is fair.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 08/15/2020 7:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unreal. I had (needed to have?) two lots in particular and 6 others that I'd definitely be in the running for. Then the big dogs started in and almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. Not even going by the estimates but seeing what lots went for after I bowed out was just incredible. I nearly just closed my laptop and called it a day before bidding on my first lot even came up.

Stuck around and overpaid just a bit for two I really wanted but nothing like what I was seeing with some of the larger US lots.

Definitely felt like a guppy in a shark tank. It's almost or actually is kind of depressing but it is what it is.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well pretty much got my @#$ handed to me on the 2 lots I really wanted badly. Ended up with several alternates so I didn't get the skunk.

Several lots re-opened and seems to have been some confusion in several areas. One lot I was bidding and winning on - froze up and then just ended. Shame as I would have bid more and they didn't seem to think there was a problem. Oh well - that's life.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4988 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only answer you can come up with ,is the eBay sellers have had good sales over the past 4 months and are looking to rebuild their inventory and a lot of collectors also are in the hunt for new material to work on .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   9:23 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget that the gov't handed almost everyone $1200. Some of us who are out of work needed it, some of you who were already retired did not and now have an extra $1200 to spend.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1040 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With the world spinning out of control, money being printed like it was monopoly money, and governments bleeding cash during this pandemic and possible upcoming fiscal disaster; some people are spilling any money into hard assets like gold, land and other valuables. Also take into account the new collectors/investors reading the google news feeds about collecting, and making money; and you have a receipe for creating huge market gains even if only for a short time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5007 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   9:47 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I went 1 for 2, with the one I didn't get quickly spiraling wildly beyond what I was even remotely willing to pay. Pleasantly however, the one I did get was the one I really wanted and it went for below estimate.

I find it bizarre that there's so much activity on what seemingly are sight-unseen lots. And it's not like Rasdale puts up an abundance of images to be able to gauge lots. Or are people calling/emailing for descriptions nonstop leading up to the sessions?

Some of the results go so far beyond estimates that it can't simply be speculation/gambling. There has to be much more information being imparted, right?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1010 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:07 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They had quite a few pictures for the US collections section (#144-160).
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I totally agree with all the comments. The prices are getting crazy
lately. It used to be you could buy a lot with an estimate of $2000 for a little over that figure. Now they are going for 4-5 times or more over the estimate. I collect and sell my extras through eBay but it's getting hard to compete with some of the big on line dealers
with larger bank accounts who will bid just to get the lot period.
Dutch Country and Kellerher lots went for more reasonable prices than these did. I hate to see what will happen in their November sale.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently one had to actually watch the sale to have any idea of prices; all any of the lots say now is "closed".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I just wonder if the current ebullience is 1) ... 2) ... 3) ... or 4) something else that is not so obvious.

Money laundering.

Quote:
... Don't forget that the gov't handed almost everyone $1200 ... an extra $1200 to spend ...

Once.

That ain't this.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who also sees money piling-up in his checking account, including unwelcome did-not-fly-grandchildren-here-for-a-visit money)
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,638Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05