Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Watching The Rasdale Auction And My Head Is Spinning

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,637Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2743 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   10:10 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also $1200 won't get anyone very far in these recent auctions.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5007 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   10:41 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Apparently one had to actually watch the sale to have any idea of prices; all any of the lots say now is "closed".

Rasdale typically posts prices realized a few days after the sale on their website; why their auction software doesn't automatically show prices realized lot by lot, I have no idea. I don't think they ever update the pre-sale prices on SAN. Since today is the second session, I don't anticipate prices realized being listed until tomorrow or Tuesday.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1435 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenue collector wrote: "....or are people calling/emailing for descriptions nonstop leading up to the sessions...."

Maybe and maybe not. I emailed couple weeks ago to see if they could provide a better scan of the Mozambique lot first page. The two copies of Scott #6 looked like reprints (#6 is a high catalog value item). Never got a reply.

Bid on the Mozambique lot anyway as I can fill some spaces. Maybe I got it as few people collect that country even though it has a lot of interesting stuff, like all other former Portuguese colonies.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1697 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...few people collect that country even though it has a lot of interesting stuff, like all other former Portuguese colonies.

Oh yes definitely. One could easily spend a philatelic career focused solely on the Ceres issues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4987 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve - Congrad's on the Mozambique
Pillar Of The Community
United States
581 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   2:33 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,

I emailed them for some additional scans and they replied they don't do that but I could call and have someone describe over the phone items I was interested in.

Other auction houses I've dealt with have no problem with additional scans if you give them enough time.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
334 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too was not impressed with the quality of the photographs on the worldwide and country collections. The number of photos also varied quite a bit from lot to lot. This was going to be my first participation in a big name auction (I have done Golden Valley in Minnesota) but I didn't realize you couldn't participate in the live auction on SAN until too late. I put in early bids on 384 and 1256 but those were pretty much place holders. Will be interested to see how much money I saved myself by not reading directions
Edited by Willwood42 - 08/16/2020 3:14 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
466 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 462 was pretty wild: 98 pounds of kiloware. It opened at $75 and sold for $4,000. I understand it had a good amount of postally used 1950s China, and I figured that would appeal to somebody, but I didn't think it would go for quite THAT much.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5007 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   6:59 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually $45/pound (once BP is factored in) for vintage kiloware isn't necessarily unreasonable, depending on the contents. I say this without having seen any of the pictures.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5054 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Was it 98 pounds of kilo's?
Valued Member
187 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Me thinks Ikey Pikey has been watching too much Ozark on Netflix.

.... although the money laundering angle is somewhat intriguing as a #4
Valued Member
481 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This auction had me wondering a bit on that particular topic. I suppose it could be a number of things happening in this particular sale such as there being a lot of items involved in a private conversation. I feel $5500 CDN for just a damaged sheet of common stamps is... odd. I feel like Roberta got a bad deal lol

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/124236204769

Anyway, as for the Rasdale, I wasn't watching live but definitely curious to see and compare once they post the realized prices. Seems to be a sellers market lately.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   01:35 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, so $1200 is chicken feed for some of you
Edited by eyeonwall - 08/17/2020 11:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
581 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   09:42 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prices realized are now posted on their website.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
84 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had more luck with the individual stamps on Sunday getting 3 of 6 at prices I was happy to pay. No "fear of missing out" bidding. Unfortunately I missed out on a few secondary lots I would have made at run at. When my bids on Saturday failed, it opened up the budget for Sunday. Unfortunately they do not let you submit internet bids after Friday. I lost track of time and forgot to got back to the auction later in the day. Oh well there will be more.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,637Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05