Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Watching The Rasdale Auction And My Head Is Spinning

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,631Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
3360 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stamps101: Roberta Bondar?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4983 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have to believe the various stamp auction houses are looking at these results and also get feedback from their bidders ,maybe even read some chat room comments . They know their business .

Soon it will be time to resupply and find new inventory . For 20 years collectors have been doing a fine job selling off their excess on eBay and buying what they need for their active collection . We also seen in the past 30 years the disapperance of stamp stores and their messy back room inventory, so no huge inventory to break down .

So the question becomes where do they look for inventory . They don't want to get into a bidding war with other auction houses and lose out like Regency which was paying for inventory more than they can get and be profitable on auction sales .
Edited by floortrader - 08/17/2020 11:28 am
Valued Member
481 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jogil,

No idea - I just stumbled upon that auction and it was a bit of a "umm what?" moment. I figure it was a deal for multiple things just using that auction to conduct it. Thoughts? Just seemed a bit high for some 465's lol
Valued Member
481 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I just googled who that is haha!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1435 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ended up going 1 for 3. Thanks for the congrats, floortrader, but did not get the Mozambique lot. Did get #735, I think, the collection of Portuguese Ceres issues. At least my bid was higher than what it went for.

I think my concern, expressed earlier in the thread, on the Mozambique #6 being a reprint was probably well-founded. Looked at the Azores lot this morning; which I didn't bid on due to all the overprinted early issues, many of which I already have and with ISPP certs. As an aside, most of the Portuguese colonial collections seem to have come from the same consignor, based on the pages and the format.

Anyway, the Azores lot had an apparent really nice mint copy of #2. In the 2020 Scott Classic Specialized, a mint Azores #2 catalogs for $13,750, in italics. In the 2018 Mundifil catalog for Portugal, Azores, and Madeira, #2 catalogs for E16,000 to E19,000 depending on gum. At an auction this past May, Cherrystone sold a #2, with partial OG, for $7,500. That copy had a cert and had been signed by several other experts. So, the Rasdale #2 is very likely a reprint cataloging up to $42.50. Makes me wonder about some of the other early Azores overprints in that lot.
Edited by Climber Steve - 08/17/2020 4:52 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
343 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   04:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re: Floortrader's last comment

Given that the dealer model has changed so much in recent years, with the shift to eBay sales, there's far less inventory than under the traditional bricks and mortar model, so as soon as there is any surge in demand there will be a much wilder swing in prices.

Covid has certainly brought a lot of people back to the hobby, and this is the result. While people might complain that they can no longer afford the stuff on their wants list, overall it has to be a good sign for the hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5199 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not aware of any evidence that Covid has brought people to the hobby, although it seems apparent that those already in it are spending more time and money on it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
343 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa --

I said that Covid had brought people BACK to the hobby, based on personal experience.
If there are new collectors I do not know.
I think most of the apparent 'new' collectors are people who collected before, had become inactive, and then rediscovered it during lockdown.
Certainly one auction house I know says he has lots of 'new' clients, but I doubt they are new to the hobby.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5051 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And will the renewed interest for those returning last once life returns to normal and they can once again go bowling, ballroom dancing, get that crazy tattoo on their bum and take in a pro sports game (should the team decide to actually play).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4983 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Got my boxes from Rasdale's yesterday .......got a lot of entertaintment and work in front of me . Check will go out today . Looking forward to the November auction .......Thanks Kevin and Kim .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
618 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   12:22 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have 70 pounds of stuff that is supposed to arrive today - former show dealer postal history stock. will keep me busy for a while.

I think there will be a fair amount of that stuff going through houses for a while as show dealers decide that they don't want to do shows anymore (if and when shows start coming back in a meaningful way).
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FWIW, I DO think that after the world gets back to normal, that the 'boom' we are seeing in the philatelic world will ease off significantly. I am sure most 'returners' will get back to their 'regular' lives - bowling, sports games, etc. The hobby may hang on to a few, though. At least I hope so. I guess we will see. Either way, I think this unusually boom is just that, and will end when the crisis (crises is probably more accurate) ends.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4983 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"WILL EASE OFF SIGNIFICANTLY " ---- Not if Our government keeps printing new money by the boat load .
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RE: Inventory

I noticed recently, that "Noble Spirit" is now advertising heavily on craigslist (even out in the boonies of the NW where I live), looking for collections for sale, both big and small. This is not something he's been doing for long, so I assume because it is getting harder to supply the large amount of sales he seems to have.
Valued Member
43 Posts
Posted 08/28/2020   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr. H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried my luck on a few of the reference book lots and some of the supplies. One that had a bid of $38 on Friday, sold for over $200, another at $100 on Friday and went for over $400.
I picked up the lot I won on Sunday, and the woman at the front desk said the bidding was crazy the whole time.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,631Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05