Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Watching The Rasdale Auction And My Head Is Spinning

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,635Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
334 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This Rasdale auction was the first big name auction that I have participated in and I have a few questions and observations.

1. I thought the quality of the photographs for the collections and accumulations was on the whole quite poor.

2. I was surprised at the high variance in the number of photos per lot in the collection and accumulations section. If I were to sell a large collection and have it described in three sentences with four photographs I might be a tad upset

3. I would have thought for high end mint (but not MNH) singles a scan or photograph of the back would have been helpful

I bid on two lots and won neither, mostly because I didn't realize until too late that I needed to register with Rasdale, not SAN, to participate in the live auction.

I bid on lot 384 which was a worldwide collection (1840-1949) housed in 3 Scott International albums (2 part I and 1 part II). The coverage looked pretty good but there were only 8 photographs. Final price was $1450 (with BP). How do you go that high with out being able to really get an idea of what is actually there. Ken Relyea looking for guidance from you if you looked at that lot

The other lot I bid on was 1256, a mint US Scott 292, centering F-VF. It went for $1000 with buyers premium. Rodgcam I know it was not in your centering range, but if you looked at it, did you think that was a fair price for the stamp. I probably would have gone another $100-200 if I was live bidding
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5007 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   1:53 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would have thought for high end mint (but not MNH) singles a scan or photograph of the back would have been helpful

You will not see this in ANY traditional auction. It's an eBay/Hipstamp thing and maybe you can get a dealer to do this for you personally on selected items. Major auction houses don't have the time or inclination to do this.

I honestly cannot recall seeing images of reverses of items, even 5- and 6-figure items.

If it's important to you, contact the auction house directly and request a scan of the reverse. I honestly don't know what the response would be, but I would not ever expect this in a traditional auction.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Willwood - As far as the 292 goes I believe that the price was in the range given the current market. Siegel sales this year of 292's with similar centering and previous hinging were all right around the $1000 with BP. Would I have paid that much a year ago? No Is it reflective of the market now?Yes

I do not believe that this is a good time to buy higher value US stamps that are always available such as the dollar value Trans-Mississippi's and Columbians. Too much competition and once the smoke clears many folks will have found that they "bought high" and will be "selling low". My two cents.
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
I would have thought for high end mint (but not MNH) singles a scan or photograph of the back would have been helpful

You will not see this in ANY traditional auction. It's an eBay/Hipstamp thing and maybe you can get a dealer to do this for you personally on selected items. Major auction houses don't have the time or inclination to do this.

I honestly cannot recall seeing images of reverses of items, even 5- and 6-figure items.

If it's important to you, contact the auction house directly and request a scan of the reverse. I honestly don't know what the response would be, but I would not ever expect this in a traditional auction.

My experience is that German auction houses will typically show the back of the stamp, and they do this for mint, unused, used, and even for sets. So it depends. Perhaps others can offer their experience with British, French, Asian, etc., auction houses and their practices.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5199 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only bid with a couple of GB houses, but I've never seen the back of any stamp photographed. And the number of pictures of large lots is probably fewer than with some of the US houses I've seen here - and often there are no photos. The present problems are likely to mean that houses will be happy to provide photos or additional photos. I recently received a dozen photos of a recent French colonies lot on polite request, for example - sold for 200 more than I'd bid, of course.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
334 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the information. Thanks Rodgcam, 'tis what I thought but I respect your eye for stamps. While a short perf (not this case) doesn't bother me all that much, you don't want to pay for VF if that is not what you are getting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think there is any impetus on Rasdale's part to change their stripes since they have never been big on scans or deep descriptions and they have done very well because repeat clients, a whole lot being internet dealers, have a solid relationship with them. For the most part the material seems to find its water level very well. I have purchased numerous carton lots from Rasdale by live bidding and let the room set the price (not always smart I know). I have never been disappointed and in fact the best purchase I ever made was a blind Rasdale carton lot that I won for $700 all in. Four cartons that was described as consisting of odds and ends with Mongolia and Dunes and "worth a look". The top of one carton had some Mongolia. Digging past the top few inches yielded handfuls of early BC material and tons of classic Canada etc.. I ended up with mounds of lot sheets and 102 cards and sales pages from a deceased Chicago doctor that also was a brick and mortar dealer. Catalog value ended up in excess of 100k. All of the material went into my own 102 cards with current values and into red boxes and I sold it all at auction for North of $20,000 net. Needless to say this may have been a one off but I am a HUGE Rasdale fan although my gain sucked for the consignor. Two sides to every tale.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
334 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodgcam, Again thank you for your observations. I guess I will get another shot in November. This time I will make sure to sign up directly with Rasdale
Valued Member
250 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2. I was surprised at the high variance in the number of photos per lot in the collection and accumulations section. If I were to sell a large collection and have it described in three sentences with four photographs I might be a tad upset

I commissioned several cartons with Rasdale about 10 years ago. I took a bunch of photos of the material and they gladly used my grouping of images. I recall at the time that my lot had twice as many photos as other similar lots. Don't know if they allow that that nowadays but something to consider.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4987 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rasdale main customers were N.Y.STAMPS and their long time relationships with Midwest Dealers who are within a day's drive .They also pick up a whole group of collectors after Regency closed up .
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First time bidding with Rasdale and I won 2 lots. Name was on them as the winner thru the auction. Then they "mistakenly" gave one to someone else who left that day with it. Not impressed with such a supposedly professional auction. Likely my first and last time bidding on their items.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
55 Posts
Posted 08/30/2020   03:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnimatedFDCs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received my lot from Rasdale and as folks have already noted sometimes you have to really dig into the descriptions and sparse photos. I bid on a FDC lot described as fairly basic with a small group of FDCs by T. Michael Weddle who I collect. I even called to get a better description because you could only see a handful of his covers in the photos and was told there were about 30. I bid anyway knowing Rasdale's descriptions sometimes aren't the best. When I received the lot it turned out there were almost 200 Weddle FDCs including his scarce first commercial FDC and five more from his first year. Plus a bunch of Weddle original price lists which have given me a lot of information about his early production. Needless to say I am quite happy.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
343 Posts
Posted 08/30/2020   04:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm based in UK so have never had dealings with US auction houses. So this is the first time I looked at the Rasdale catalogue, and to me the number of images provided is huge. For similar large box lots from a a major UK auction you'd likely get no picture at all.

However, I think times may be changing due to the virus (and eBay) -- a smaller auction I frequent has recently started making short videos of the box lots.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1435 Posts
Posted 08/30/2020   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I do not believe that this is a good time to buy higher value US stamps that are always available such as the dollar value Trans-Mississippis and Columbians......"

Perhaps. Granted, the COVID hadn't arrived yet last fall when I attended a small dealer bourse at the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library. Came away with a nice used US Scott 241, a 292, and several Columbian better replacements for just a cool 1K. The local dealer "threw in" several packages of original Dennison and Fold-O stamp hinges as part of my deal. While US is not a hard specialty of mine, I did keep my US collection when I downsized the former world-wide collection. This was a good purchase for me and did not involve hassling with an auction house.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 3,635Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05