Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Long Time On-And-Off Collector, Currently On!

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 476Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add knick1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Trying to reorganize my main collections and work through the tons of material I have stockpiled to add to my albums. I have a large collection of worldwide in Scott International albums - by the part until 8? 9? and then I started merging parts together in country order. Still have many newer parts to merge in ... not sure how modern I will go.

Most recent focus is on my scattered US collection. Was not too serious until recently (and "serious" is subjective, eh?). Trying to figure out my Album options. Have 2 nice Harris Liberty books and 1 junker with many stamps. Also have the US section from the Scott Brown Reprints to 1940 in a dedicated binder - void of any stamps and waiting. I want to make a choice that will be The One. Thinking about getting something new and hinge-less, but right now just thinking and assessing what I have.

I just purchased a set of those 3 expensive US airmail stamps (MLH) which has inspired me to pick the right home for them.

A little disappointed with the 50-post requirement before you can place WANTED or FOR SALE posts. As someone who lurks forever before posting and then sometimes doesn't post much, that is an odd barrier to overcome. Not looking to deal, but always looking for ways to unload riff-raff that I'm not interested in anymore, or to go fishing for items I want and finding them off eBay. Too bad. eBay it is then.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
941 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
to the family!

You might be surprised how quickly you can get to 50 posts here. Don't get discouraged.

A moderator can explain better than I can for the 50 post minimum. It isn't random. There may even be some threads on it already.

Dan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Edited by danstamps54 - 08/15/2020 4:37 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
268 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I am a forum veteran; busiest on some specific travel forums (my rank by volume on my fav is 8th with 1600+ posts, but since 2014). Some other travel forum didn't count you as "real" until X posts and I left there. The forums were busy with short 1-2-3 word posts just to meet the count requirement. I'm not sure I have that many real questions ... but will stick around and see how I do. Can we go by word counts? :). I tend to ramble quite a bit!

Thanks again.
Edited by knick1959 - 08/15/2020 5:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
556 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With the experience you have, you may get to 50 posts simply by helping those of us with less.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
504 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. 50 posts is not that hard.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
941 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nick,

You can also post scans of some of your collection. Those count too.

A lot of us like the eye candy and to see how someone's collection progresses.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Knick1959

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
danstamps54 - Great idea. And how timely! Someone just started a thread on bulls-eye / direct on-center cancels and I happen to have a nice set handy. If I only knew where my older, larger set was stored. I'll find them! Anyway, I do have many to share. Thanks for the idea!
Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JRockne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. I have my Blues. I go hot and cold. Now luke warm. Going vario pages because I really collect everything I like. I'm sure I'll work on my Blues again someday but right now have a nice workflow identifying and labeling some in the Vario pages.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, I remember there being some watermark for making 50 posts - and I still think this is a poor measure of a person's contributions and seriousness. I think I've said that before. But a new curiosity hit me a day or 2 ago (read curiosity == annoyance) ...

In a discussion about scanners and JPG formats ... I wanted to email a participant to see if they were a software developer or otherwise into coding in some form. I mean, who reads JPG specs but? Anyway, I'm still apparently "too new" to do that, as I might be trying to instead peddle my ware or do something else mischievous. Really?

I'm reading here; mostly lurking, but posting occasionally. And enjoying it. But things like this make me shake my head.

Is 50 also the level I need for this? I mean, if I post 5-6 more SOTN images I'm now "in"? I'll make a point to do just that. I have some other recent real-stamp frustrations I wanted to post somewhere but not sure where. I know there was a post about mounts ... let me find that today.

Thanks for listening.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
55 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree regarding the annoyance and unusual requirement of 50 posts to participate more fully, and the 100 post requirement for yet some other 'features'. I do however enjoy following and reading most of the meaningful posts/content here though, and occasionally participating.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
55 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to get rid of the "most" annoying posts, I have an idea (crazy perhaps, but....). I find the "please help me identify this small pile of loose stamps I just inherited", where the picture has many common US commemoratives and definitives all made after 1937, that there is virtually no difficulty identifying with a scott's pocket catalog. We should start a service where we charge the requester $1 for each such identification (after 5) a member makes and put the funds towards SCF support and some other causes!

I'd say you give 'em 5 easy ones for free and skip the standard 20 posts it takes to tell them most stamps aren't valuable, get a catalog or look at stampsmarter, check the perforations, watermarks, design, denomination, color gets kind of old and would be good to put in boilerplate and just point them there :-)

Seriously challenging requests for identification or confirmation, plating, etc....on a single stamp or 2 like the imperf/perfed 1c Franklins don't get my hair up, but how hard is it to identify an 832? I wouldn't even mind if they charged for all such requests to get some real expertise (I'd ask more often about 5-9, 18-24, 70/78, grills and others that sometimes challenge me :-)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5094 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No-one has to reply to requests for imformation about inherited albums etc. Those who do presumably do so because it gives them pleasure.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1883 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Knick1959,

You are getting close to your 50. Like you, I am on and off again. What were those "expensive" airmails? Do you have Scott numbers?

Jack Kelley
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 476Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.76 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05