Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

No Gum Brazil Of Late 1960's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 166Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mootermutt987 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A while back I bought a mint Brazil collection and I was 'playing' with it today. I noticed that many of the stamps of the late 1960's had no gum, and I thought maybe I was being taken for a ride. I referred to my Scott Catalogue, and discovered that many stamps of that era were No Gum As Issued.

Does anyone know WHY Brazil was issuing stamps without gum in the late 1960's??? Did they FORGET to put gum on their stamps? Was there a Brazilian gum shortage? Had Carlos tipped over the barrel of gum? Did the president decree that stamp gum was no longer needed? Was there a massive earthquake/plague/flood/meteor that took out the gum factory? This inquiring mind wants to know!!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
465 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add codehappy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know WHY Brazil was issuing stamps without gum in the late 1960's???

Same reason Laos, Vietnam, and China did for so many years: in tropical climates the gum will soften, and panes will stick together and mold will grow on the stamps. Many of these countries tried glassine interleaving between panes of gummed stamps first, but that didn't stop the problem, so they just stopped gumming their stamps entirely.

More modern gum formulations (not based on gum arabic) do not stick or mold so easily, nowadays that gum is used instead.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1612 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brazil issued a set of definitives in 1996 depicting fruits, which were issued without gum. No idea why, but it's the only issue of that era issued with no gum. Scott 2626N-U.
Edited by shermae - 08/15/2020 9:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Same reason Laos, Vietnam, and China did for so many years: in tropical climates the gum will soften, and panes will stick together and mold will grow on the stamps. Many of these countries tried glassine interleaving between panes of gummed stamps first, but that didn't stop the problem, so they just stopped gumming their stamps entirely.

codehappy - of course you are right. I hadn't considered that possibility. Over the years, I have seen tons of 'tropical gum' stamps. Many even had the stuck-to-glassine look to them.

I feel sorry for all the people that buy no-gum stamps, hoping to just lick-and-stick. How inconvenient! I can picture all kinds of Brazilians driving around with little bottles of Elmer's glue in their glove compartments.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mootermutt, feel more sorry for the person who finds all his postage stamps stuck to each other when he wants to use them, that is more of nuisance because you have to buy more. presumably people in hot sticky regions learn what to do and accept this as the norm.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 166Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05