Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maybe A Nit Picky Question?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 312Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
28 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   03:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jane15q to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I may nitpicking a bit here, but here goes. I am organizing two old stamp collections I have inherited and learning a lot along the way. So far, I am organizing them in glassine envelopes in boxes. My question is, is it harmful to store a stamp on its corner in an envelope vs. flat edge down (see pics?) I have noticed corner damage on some stamps, maybe bc they are picked up by the corners with tongs, and I don't want to contribute to that. Does it really matter?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not something I have given a lot of thought to, but I see what you mean. Obviously a stamp coming into first contact with something by a corner must be liable to sustain more damage than if an impact is spread all alomg an edge. I find more bent corners on stamps than bent edges or fp;ds along the stamp. If the package is flatter then there is less chance of the stamp trying to move in three dimensions with more risk of getting bent. If the stamp has gum on it then if the air is humid there is more danger of it stickng. A stamp will almost always move around in it.s packet so it might go corner on to the package. theoretically there would be less danger putting a stamp in a glassine packet so the stamp is paralell to the envelope edge but in practice it will be hard to keep it that way. Nearly all these musing are theory. I think it would think that it would be best practice if only one or two stamps are kept
in each envelopes, the envelopes are only a little larger than the stamps so they can't move around. Keep the stamps in a dry atmosphere. Don't throw around or shake the box with the envelopes in. sometimes the stamps are so numerous and appear to be common sorts that they do get dropped in a grocery bag prior to careful sorting. most stamps in the grocery bag survive ok.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally am a big believer that stamps, especially when shipped through the mail, can easily develop bent corners if not stored squarely against the bottom of the holder. I have seen this problem literally dozens of times, yet when I report to sellers about this problem they generally respond, "I've never had a problem before." Whatever. Trust me, it IS a problem. And it sucks to see great collectible stamps damaged by laziness and indifference.

For stamps in storage, I would think you can get away with it if the boxes aren't moved. But I think it's worth the extra step to square the stamp against the bottom of the glassine or stock card.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by shermae - 08/16/2020 5:51 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 312Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05