Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Recent Milestones For Your Collection?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,175Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For the last few months I've been spending some time each day working on my collection. Prior to that it would more properly be considered an accumulation.

I collect worldwide with no real restrictions as to country or time period.

Today my collection reached 10,000 stamps with the addition of Austria Scott 1559.

I know this is nothing compared to the collections of some on this forum, but for me it's a moment to reflect on where I've been so far and to plan on where to go next.

Has anyone else reached a milestone recently with their collection?

Dale
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
523 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I finally got the last of the US zeppelin stamps (Scott C15) in clean used condition. I was pretty happy about that.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For my Denmark collection I recently acquired (last month) Scott 44d, so now I only have one space to fill in my Steiner pages for all of Denmark, including all of the back of the book stuff, up to about the year 2000, so with one exception, the ultra rare and expensive Scott 21, I can fill in the rest up to the present without breaking the bank.
Valued Member
China
277 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With my last purchase, I only need three more stamps to complete my mint Newfoundland collection (ignoring the super expensive paper variations and overprints). Since I finished my complete Canadian collection a few years ago, I only have the other Provinces to finish and then I am completely finished. Will probably work on the US albums next.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1435 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, all, for your achievements.

For me, no milestones since January, when I donated the last, for now, of 80 single country manila folders of album pages and glassines to the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library for use in their upcoming auctions. Been too busy to spend much time at all on stamps in recent months ("Don't ever retire. You won't have time to do anything").
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4987 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My collection hits a lot of milestones ,mine is making a new page for a country I previously didn't have .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2870 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did get my collection in Stamp Manage software and in the process submitted over 7000 additions so countries were more complete up to 1980 or so. This was needed to be able to know what I have, want, or trade. I do not deal with the valuations or adding images.

With that done, I am scanning all the pages and will need to come up with a numbering system (page 1, 2, etc) system tied to Steiner pages. I have been combining all files for a country into one PDF so a master deck for each country.
Al
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently crossed over having 1,300 pages scanned and uploaded to my website (www.scottsstampcollection.com). I haven't counted the total number of stamps yet, but I'm sure it will be quite a number as many plate number coil pages (the bulk of my collection) have between 1 and 25 stamps on each page.

Scott
Member APS #174069, PNC3 #2386, AFDCS #29532O, PSS #8418

Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org)

Coil Line (club newsletter) Editor & Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1541 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've picked up a small number of items for my NSW De La Rue collection recently. I've started sending want lists to a few dealers (with wildly varying results) but when you collect something in depth, and there's no real demand, it can be quite the challenge locating even the cheaper stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2321 Posts
Posted 08/17/2020   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if I'd consider it a milestone, but I just set a record for the most I've ever paid for a single stamp.

In related news, I won't be buying any more stamps for the next 4-5 months...
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 08/17/2020 11:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1541 Posts
Posted 08/18/2020   01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you're down to the business end of putting a collection together PostmasterGS
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2321 Posts
Posted 08/18/2020   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's the downside of a specialized collection. You reach a point where there are no more cheap holes to fill.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 08/18/2020   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had the week off from work this past week for a vacation week so was able to complete work on making page inserts for my Malay States Vario Page albums. North Borneo was a bit of a beast with all those crazy perf varieties that Gibbons lists, but now my Malay States albums are all set up.

Now just need to win the lottery to fill them all

Until then, will keep on working on making page inserts for my various albums (I collect worldwide, so lots of pages to make, which I enjoy doing). Now working on Brunei.

APS #173088
Valued Member
United States
45 Posts
Posted 08/18/2020   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JRockne to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No milestone. A milestone seems like an end or turning point. But I've started to climb the mountain to turn my accumulations into a properly stores and inventoried collection. (Vario pages and three large Scott Internationals).

One I have the accumulation properly accounted for .... will that ever happen?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5199 Posts
Posted 08/18/2020   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I seem to acquire millstones ...
Valued Member
Ireland
245 Posts
Posted 08/18/2020   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am now just two and a half months away from collecting Ireland for 50 years....31St October.
There are now only three Irish designed stamps which I dont have mint and used. One (mint and used) is impossible which is ok because I dont think any collection can be totally complete.
That would leave about 19 overprinted Seahorses and as noted in another comment above, this is in the "moderately expensive" to "dont tell my wife expensive". But I am a man with a plan.
It would seem that October is an upcoming milestone rather than one I have passed.
And my "plan" is a traget rather than a milestone.
But the milestone aspect is that I have started to downsize and de-clutter and sell-off some other collectables (NOT stamps). This is actually working out very well...I am now in the position where (at least for upcoming months) stamp collecting is "paying for itself".
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,175Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05