Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia Postal Stationery

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 157Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3612 Posts
Posted 08/20/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just picked this one up, and had to check it against the ACSC Postal Stationery Catalog. This is an example from the "1 1/2d Letter Rate Period, 1923-1930". It is EP26, noted as Three/Halfpence on 2d, Red. (There were about 309,000 covers so printed.) Value is only AUS$25 in used condition. Here is the cover, and back:

Here's a closeup of the embossed area. I can only make out "24" as the year. The city is Dungog, NSW.

There is an interesting, and expensive variety of the same item, identified as EP25, Three/Halfpence on 2d, Orange. That is an expensive item, with only three known, one cancelled in Camberwell, Vic, and the other in Oakleigh, Vic. Both were cancelled in 1924, and both items are shown in the same Catalog:

As we all know, there are large variations in color that cannot be determined via scans, especially when scanned at two different times and under different lighting, but I do note how different the "orange" color is on these examples.

But what I thought was very interesting was the handwriting in these items. Completely different script, so completely different senders. My example has lettering that appears very much like the very orange version shown above. Maybe sent by the same person? Just an interesting observation. Thanks for reading.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29896 Posts
Posted 08/20/2020   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A member here on SCF is from Dungog.

Quote:
I can only make out "24" as the year.

The then, CDS code, would be Time-day-Month-Year

Example : 6-P 17AP 35

Ergo, yours would seem 7-A 20FE 24
(7:30 am, 20th Feb 1924)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 08/20/2020 10:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3612 Posts
Posted 08/20/2020   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you think about the handwriting? I thought many of the letters match.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29896 Posts
Posted 08/21/2020   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you think about the handwriting? I thought many of the letters match.

Opinion:
Cannot agree with that unfortunately, all look different (but similar)

I was a product of that type of schooling, shown in the hand script.
We would get lined paper (3 lines marked per line of words)
We would have to start with a slant to the right, have all the lower case in the lower gap, and capitals and "h" and "L" etc, hitting the top line.

Dip the nib in the inkwell, tap it slightly, the light up strokes and heavy downstrokes (the nib would part, and lay wide ink lines)

Importance was placed on hand script in those days (No biros)

Hence all that era's writing in Australia, show basic similarity, some however took it to another level. (mine was always poor in my estimation)
My son's handscript is beautiful, and he wasn't taught, that has always been a frustrating experince for me.

Geoff Ha's script is nice on SCF I find.

The top envelope script is beautiful, consistant, and probably a fountain pen. The writer probably did a lot of writing.
The orange stamp envelope, not so, a bit of a hash for mine.

Edited by rod222 - 08/21/2020 12:26 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 157Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05