Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Actual Postcard Rate Within US In 1978

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 374Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 08/27/2020   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canadag to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While I was searching for examples of the US 1757c stamp (13 cents, issued 1978-06-10) usage on postcards, I've noticed multiple rates (9, 10, 13, and 15 cents) on postcards mailed within US in 1978.

The USPS site provides the history of the postal rate for postcards, for 1978 it was 9 or 10 cents (raised on May 29).
https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/p...nce-1873.htm

So the question is -- what was the actual rate for postcards in 1978?

A potential explanation of the differences is that the sender didn't care whether it was 10 or say 13 cents if a 13-cent stamp was at hand (and USPS didn't care either since the rate was paid anyway).

Another explanation might be additional services that were upgrades above the base rate, but I have no info about this.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3059 Posts
Posted 08/27/2020   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to dig deeply into US rates, then Beecher & Wawrukiewicz's "U.S. Domestic Postal Rates" is what you want.
Yes the domestic U.S. postal card rate went from 9 to 10 cents of May 29, 1978 (and the letter rate went from 13 to 15 cents) Finding a 13 or 15 cent stamp on a postcard is usually just a convenience overpayment, and would not get any different service or upgrade of any kind. Oversized postcards would need the letter rate, so that is where to look for your CAPEX stamps on cards ... or out-of-period use during Nov 1, 1981 to Feb 16, 1985 when the card rate was 13 cents.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by John Becker - 08/27/2020 4:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 09/01/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, John.

Since the CAPEX stamps were issued on 1978-06-10, and the rates were updated to 15 and 10 cents for letters and postcards respectively on 1978-05-29, I'm not sure what the in-period proper use would be. I guess the 13 cents rate was for the special services/upgrades, and for that info I need to obtain a copy of Beecher & Wawrukiewicz's book.

Also, I'll keep looking for the convenience overpayment specimens.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3059 Posts
Posted 09/01/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I believe you are overthinking this.
The CAPEX issue was primarily a philatelic issue and did indeed come out just after the rate change of the letter rate from 13 to 15, so the issue was (in a sense) obsolete. It would have paid the rate for additional ounces on letters beyond the first ounce (15 cents for 1st ounce, 13 cents for additional ounces). Here is a flat postmarked in November 1978 weighing between 7 and 8 ounces sent between two collectors using a full block of 8:

0.15 for 1st ounce
0.13 for each of 7 additional ounces
=1.06 total, with 1.08 paid as a convenience of using an old 4 cent stamp from the 1960s.

Does the CAPEX issue exist on a card? Sure, but it overpays the rate by a few cents. Good luck in your search.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 374Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05