Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Chinese Overprint Ink?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 114 / Views: 1,693Next Topic
Page: of 8
Valued Member

Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just_fella to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Probably asking a really basic question that may be common knowledge to most on here
Was the ink used for overprints hand mixed or something that could make a red look more orange (more yellow added or something)
Or was there a orange overprint used at some point
Is the stamp sun damaged or light pressed

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the sideways image again
I'm not sure why they are turning
They look right before I post
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again no idea why the photo is turning
Pillar Of The Community
United States
800 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks gettinold
I have no idea why it keeps turning
in my photo library when I select it it looks good
I post it and it turns lol
Learn More...
8500 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   3:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not turning when you upload.
Phone cameras automatically rotate the images on your phone/mobile device but the image file is actually orientated as you see above (sideways). If you are working exclusively from a phone, rotate the image 90 degrees to right and then save it; I think it will be rotated on your phone but will upload correctly.
Don
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As other have already stated, recommend you purchase a recent edition of either the Scott or Gibbons catalogue specific to China. If you check outlets such as eBay believe you will find recent editions to be quite affordable.

IMO China is one of the more challenging (e.g., secret marks) and interesting (e.g., overprints) collecting areas. However, your 1965 Scott catalogue is simply insufficient to effectively address many of the questions you have been posting to SCF.

Recommend you also consider a trial membership for the Chinese Stamp Society. CSS publishes an interesting bimonthly newsletter and has a lending library for members. CSS would provide a forum for you to learn more about stamp overprints, ink colors, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2741 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The surcharge was originally in Carmine ink, as the stamp above in your photo.These were surcharged by different printers.It cannnot be excluded that the ink used was in fact orange or perhaps due to poor mixing ,lack of pigments ect,it just came out orange.
Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ya apparently a 1975 catalog doesn't have the most up to date information
I'll have to get one
Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Until I get one can I ask
What is wrong with this stamp?
Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wth I made sure that picture was taken properly
And rotated
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5110 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What makes you think there's anything wrong with the stamp?
Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
Posted 08/29/2020   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There we go
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 114 / Views: 1,693Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05