Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There Such A Thing As An Auction Hog?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,204Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5054 Posts
Posted 08/30/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So walk away.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1040 Posts
Posted 08/30/2020   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like normal bid increments to me. The winning guy is willing to submit a good bid on the item and the second highest bidder tries to outbid at a later time and date but is unsucessful.

If it is shill bidding,and they hope it is going to sell for more, they may end up paying fees to repurchase something they allready own increasing their cost base when reoffering at a later date.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 08/31/2020   12:32 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it is highly unusual for big bidders to be bidding this far in advance.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
441 Posts
Posted 08/31/2020   02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing this is Golden Valley based on the screenshots, I would agree with eyeonwall.
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
Posted 08/31/2020   02:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was a bit skeptical at first. You have obviously looked at the bidding history on a number of lots. If these two bidders have bid on essentially the same lots consistently in the manner illustrated, I would think shenanigans. If neither of these two bidders are associated with the lot owner(s), or the auction venue, I wonder what their game is. Which makes me think they are associated with the owner(s) or the auction venue. Now, if they have bid on, say, 1000 lots and overlap each other on 'only' 500, it could easily be a couple of aggressive bidders that coincidentally have similar interests. If they are bidding on 525 lots, and overlap on 500, then I think there's something rotten in Denmark.

I understand that online bidding usually results in few bids until the last day/hour/minute when the price skyrockets. I am not alone, though, in that I often put in a healthy bid (not actually my high bid, but close) early in the bidding so that the lot shows up on my Bidding List. I see it as a reminder to come back 10 minutes before it sells to put in my final bid. I could Watch them instead, but I don't. My point is, although it is a bit unusual, there ARE people that bid early.

I don't know if there are shenanigans, but I would certainly be uncomfortable with the situation. Out of principle, I would walk away.

You COULD inform the auction venue of what you have found. If these bidders are fraudulent AND not related to the auction venue, you may get some traction. If they ARE somehow associated with the auction venue, you will get lied to if they respond to your notification. They may not even respond. You may want to keep an eye on how these lots sell. -To one of these bidders? To others, with these as the underbidders? Are their bids cancelled at the last minute?? Also, do these lots appear in a not-too-distant-future auction?
Edited by mootermutt987 - 08/31/2020 02:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2793 Posts
Posted 08/31/2020   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think their auction web site is excellent and plus it is simple and well constructed.Plus it is attractive...
Some forgeries like Albania....
Edited by perf12 - 08/31/2020 07:38 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,204Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05