Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Philately For Fun Vs Philately For Blood

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,295Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
342 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   06:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steevh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never been able to understand people who deny the financial element in collecting.

The hard to find items will cost more. No serious collector has got a collection made up of thousands of low-value stamps.

How many posts have you seen from someone boasting that they got a common stamp cheaply?

Of course it should be fun, too, but why are some people at pains to deny the money side?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5028 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve - Thank you for stating that. "What is it worth" are probably the most thought or spoken words in philately. The entire hobby revolves around buying and selling and catalog values. Funny thing is that the people that bristle at associating $ with stamp collecting would be crying the most if they received a lowball offer on their collection. They also will spend a lot of time finding the best deals on supplies so as to reduce overhead. This does not mean that you cannot collect interesting things with little dollar value. That is the great thing about stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2865 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No serious collector has got a collection made up of thousands of low-value stamps

It depends on your definition of serious.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5028 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anything over $1000.
Learn More...
8605 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   07:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...No serious collector has got a collection made up of thousands of low-value stamps....

I disagree with this opinion. I have a serious HPO postal history cover collection with over 5000 covers; it is 85% complete for First/Last trips and has a number of nice specialty items. I know of only a few HPO collections which are larger or more complete but I doubt my collection is worth even $500 in the marketplace.
Don

Count me among the people who 'bristle at associating $ with stamp collecting' but not because I am some kind of purest or do not support folks who collect for ANY reason. I only bristle because it contributes to the misconception that many non-collectors have about the value of stamps. We see this multiple times per week in this forum and invest a lot of time trying to explain to people that the hobby is much more than $$$. In fact, we cannot guarantee that anyone will turn a profit in this hobby given the cost of albums, reference materials, supplies, shipping costs, and poor purchases. But we can guarantee learning opportunities and intrinsic enjoyment on geography, history, cultures.

I welcome folks who embrace the investment component of this hobby to join us in helping the non-collectors better understand the value of our hobby that is beyond the $$$s. (And I do not mean replying with snarky 'Your stamps are worthless' but actually try to help generate interest in our hobby.)
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning Don and all,

Great conversations. One of my early collecting mentors viewed his stamps in the following context. "Russ, I do not smoke or drink but I do collect stamps. When I am gone I will leave behind something that gave me hours of pleasure worth more than empty beer cans and cigarette wrappers." And he did.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5180 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He never sat in the gardens of the Palais-Royal with a pastis and a Gitane ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4974 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who ever posted that statement about -No serious collector ,has thousands . Has never seen this ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
981 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This may be of interest. In, inter alia, Slavic Esperanhto

https://www.institut-francais.org.u...ainted-bird/

Thanks for that, Geoff! Very interesting. I had to research what exactly they meant by "Slavic Esperanto", but it's a language constructed for optimal mutual comprehension by speakers of various Slavic languages and generally known as Interslavic. The filmmakers used it in order to avoid associating the film's setting with any one particular Eastern European country.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5180 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad that you could find what it meant - just noticed it whilst scouring the film timetable for the recently reopened French Institute in London. I hope to have my first visit to the flicks in seven months shortly.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
981 Posts
Posted 09/07/2020   05:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's one of the things I miss the most. I've seen LOTS of movies in recent months on DVD, Blu-ray, TV, downloads, and streaming, but I'm still dying to return to weekend matinees and film festivals. I haven't been inside a cinema since March 14th.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
55 Posts
Posted 09/07/2020   05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnimatedFDCs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting conversation. I think I would add that my main focus has typically been to collect and exhibit material that seems to be, at least at the time, under appreciated. I have exhibited FDCs for quite some time but have focused on more modern stamps in most of my exhibits. I have been fortunate to acquire some wonderful (scarce/rare) material over the years which never had a significant dollar value but is incredibly rare. One of a kind essays from stamp artists, etc. I enjoy the challenge of taking this "new" and less expensive material and creating a great exhibit. So I am definitely not in the "all about the $$$" side of this conversation.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 09/07/2020   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never have been concerned with what a stamp is "worth" in money -- to me they are "worth" fun and mental stimulation and the thrill of the hunt.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,295Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05