Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upcoming US Election

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,918Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   2:12 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my opinion the US is headed for the ugliest election in it's history. I have no idea who will win but this does not change the fact that we are here for philately and there are plenty of other venues where folks can discuss their political opinions. Keep in mind that our community has plenty of members from other countries who probably have little interest in US politics.

I have little doubt that this election will go down in history as one of the darkest political moments for our country; if nothing else we recently have seen the writing on the wall on just how low American politics is willing to sink. Two hundreds years of peaceful elections and transitions of power is hanging in the balance and this is more than likely to result in plenty of emotions here in this community.

As such I am asking...no pleading...with everyone to avoid posting political opinions, comments, emojis, memes, or feelings about the election or the election results. Fair warning - doing so will result in immediate removal of the post and/or thread. Our common ground here is stamps, covers and postal history. Let us not contribute to the divisive and acrimonious tenor but rather stay above the chaotic political nightmare that is sure to come.
Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1116 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well said!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And yet many areas of philately depend on and revolve around those very political and social upheavals that you wish to avoid comments on. Wars and political upheavals have always made for great philately around the world, however terrible the realities were at the time.
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   3:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The topic of politics is not the problem, the problem is that we have proven over and over that we are incapable of having any civil political discourse and instead drop into ad hominem posts. Is anyone here interested in Moderating the personal attacks and removing members who violate this important rule? In my opinion this community is similar to a holiday dinner with family members; it is better to simply agree not to discuss politics than it is to end up in a food fight and the dissolving long term relationships.
Don

Y-aPp7Kiiyg
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5054 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It wasn't always this way and that is very sad. I grew up listening to my Dad and his buddies from WWII discuss politics endlessly and part ways at the end with a smile and handshakes. Now politics cannot be discussed? That is pitiful. If emotions rise that is a reality of being human. The line is probably personal attacks? Threats? How did we get here? Shutting down discourse is never the answer but as Don says there are other venues better suited to discussing politics I guess.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4737 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, it has always been this way. I have unpleasant memories of the trips to my grandmother's house on Thanksgiving and Christmas days. The endless political "discussions"/crap went on and on. The thick screen of cigarette smoke was a "bonus".
Edited by bookbndrbob - 09/04/2020 3:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1366 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   4:14 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don I agree, the subject has become toxic. My wife and I have very good friends and we speculate about their politics but are scared to find out in case they're on the opposite side and then we won't be able to be friends anymore. It's sad things have gotten this way.

I do think a lot of people from other countries are very interested in our election, but SCF should stick to stamps and auctions.
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
as the late Ernie Wilkens used to say......."stamps,stamps we want stamps" and then would give you chapter and verse information on what ever item you had and knew little or nothing about. if he did not know, the next time he saw you,he told you all he discovered. politics, religion and sex and other derisive and incendiary topics do not belong on this board. it would be insulting to the host and all the other users of this board.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5054 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   6:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd lick that... just sayin'.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1997 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   7:55 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Don: stick to stamps here as that is the purpose of this forum. If I really want to get in a poo-flinging match, I'll go to Facebook. No shortage of people there who are more than happy to tell you in no uncertain terms just how right they are and how wrong you are. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I don't visit Facebook that much anymore, either.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5054 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does "stick to stamps" include postal history?
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i suggest "Going Postal" by the late Terry Pratchett.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5054 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Oops, did I just use a political emoji?!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,918Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05