Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upcoming US Election

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,917Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
989 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i suggest "Going Postal" by the late Terry Pratchett.

Speaking of whom...

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't TP wonderful? I got m&m to start reading him. Among others. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7129 Posts
Posted 09/04/2020   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About 8 months before I discovered the books I had a chance to buy a large accumulation of Discworld stamps. Not knowing what they were, I passed them by. I still kick myself over that.
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read the thread title and thought, "A thread on political postal history" for some reason. I live in the state of Washington - we are one of the states that has had 100% voting by mail for I-don't-know-how-long, and less-then-100% for a while before that. Bottom line: I haven't driven to the polls in 20-ish years.

So.... there have been a LOT of ballot return envelopes created over the years. In Washington, I think they are all destroyed (we are required to have personal info and signature on it before we mail back our ballot), but I wonder if other states, with presumably different mail-in-ballot systems, don't destroy the ballot return envelopes. With the current talk of needing mail-in-ballots for the upcoming election, I wonder if some states will use a different 'system' than the one I have lived in for a few decades. Anyway, it could be an interesting postal history field. If it's possible, that is.

Don, I agree - no place here for political discussions. There are so many other venues on- and off-line for those that have that 'need'. We are talking stamps here. I am sure your job is hard enough without having to get in the middle of such a discussion.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do believe that politics and stamps are inextricably connected in many cases. What is being talked about here is CURRENT politics. No?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
949 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don

I agree with Don 100% I come here to enjoy my hobby and get away from current events.

Unfortunately, this election cycle is turning out to be the nastiest one I can recall, even the late 60's and 70's.

Heck, even Archie Bunker and the "Meathead" got along. [Reference to a 70's sit-com, All in the Family]

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1997 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   6:04 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do believe that politics and stamps are inextricably connected in many cases. What is being talked about here is CURRENT politics. No?

Don would have to clarify, but in my opinion it would just apply to current politics. Discussing the election of 1860 (presumably with some sort of connection to stamps or postal history) isn't likely to raise too many hackles. The 2020 election on the other hand....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, There are way too many political comments being made on this site lately. I hope others will heed your advice.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't come here for politics
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Citizen: "I've come here for an argument" Ministry of Silly Arguments "No you haven't"
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2793 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Galen says "yes",Hippocrates says "No".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4737 Posts
Posted 09/06/2020   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Political talk is an unwelcome distraction on this site, IMO.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 09/06/2020 5:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1116 Posts
Posted 09/07/2020   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, for all those garrulous SCFer's whose philatelic fattt fingers just can't resist their political exuberances, pre- or post-election time, and/or whose posts stray from philatelic the philatelic topic, comment and/or question presented. May I humbly suggest the following, to curb that urge...

Edited by Hal - 09/07/2020 10:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a thread on the impact of the election and politics on the USPS but it was nuked for some reason. I thought it was a very relevant thread because of the tie between the USPS and stamps, postal history, and receiving auction winnings not to mention stamp site purchases. I'm sure the reason it was nuked is probably because it was turning into a political debate instead of staying on subject.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So "a thread on the impact of the election and politics on the USPS" went wrong because "it was turning into a political debate instead of staying on subject." In other words a topic that involved politics went bad when politics was discussed?

OMG, that is too funny!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,917Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05