Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upcoming US Election

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,915Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was a discussion on the slow down of deliveries but members had to voice their position on candidates. Never really anything positive to add to a discussion in your world is there?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get why it was nuked. Too bad, it was interesting when it stuck to stamps. There are hot-button issues that we all know about and when the moderators see us getting close to any of them, it's time to do something about it. Some people simply can't help themselves, even when the know the rules and consequences. THAT'S why threads get shut down.

As for this topic, I agree with Don's initial post and hope we can stick to stamps here. And when the discussion is stamps/politics that we can keep it a LOT closer to the 'stamps' aspect. If I want a political argument/discussion, I'll go visit family at Thanksgiving.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3087 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, the last paragraph of Don's initial post should have been announced as policy, then locked for no additional discussion.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5053 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The World we now live in. Keep narrowing down what can be said until there is little left that is acceptable or everybody takes no offense and is happy. Like THAT ever happens. Make it all or nothing to be safe. Postal history shall be void of history if it could veer into someplace uncomfortable for someone at sometime. How easily people accept being controlled. Many actually are asking to have their speech limited. Never thought I would see it.

So if a USPS topic in the General section revolves around a political figures actions best to not talk about it because people cannot handle it. What has happened?

Don't like the show then change the channel. Don't like the song change the station. Don't like the movie turn it off. Now it is "I did not like what was said but I kept reading it anyway and am complaining because I am indignant because you said it and I read it. Gads.

Philately is so much more than perfs and paper. Rich history and politics runs through many issues. It brings it alive at times.

We are not at a good place in history. Not by a long shot.
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't like the show then change the channel. Don't like the song change the station. Don't like the movie turn it off. Now it is "I did not like what was said but I kept reading it anyway and am complaining because I am indignant because you said it and I read it. Gads.

On the contrary, I think most of us like the song/show/whatever that has been started. Most of our complaints are about whistling one's own tune, different than the one started, in order to hijack what has already been started.

Freedom of speech? Try yelling 'FIRE' in a theater. The rules have been set forth here. Don was good enough to warn us all of consequences if we stray away from the rules. Sounds to me like the tune has been started, to use your analogy, and we can all work together to make a good song great. As set forth in Don's post, some songs will not be tolerated. So... if you don't like the song, turn the station. Like it or not, we live by their rules while on this site. Their site, their rules.

Rogdcam, I get your point. I really do. But we have rules in society for a reason. As a semi-solution, perhaps SCF could create another category. Perhaps name it "Back Alley of Calcutta". No rules. No policing. No subjects off-limits. No clothes? No problem. Perhaps someone could suggest such an SCF addition to Don. I honestly say this only partly tongue-in-cheek. I already know that I will change that channel as it won't be to my liking. Others? They can make their own choices, of course.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 09/17/2020 02:52 am
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   03:53 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My bad, I was a moron for not seeing this coming. I should have just deleted the thread 'We Mailed 100 Letters To Test The Postal Service. The Verdict: Spotty At Best, Dismal At Worst' as soon as it was start, I won't make that mistake again. Obviously a thread that 'could go either way' is going to end badly because some folks feel strongly that the community wants to hear more political divisiveness. If folks want to hear about politics they can go to other online venues.

Hell, just throw a rock in any direction and you will hit a site which is full of hateful and divisive political opinions. The desire is to keep this community as a sanctuary were we can forget about the acrimonious politics that we all up to our elbows in right now. Is this too much to ask? (rhetorical question) Is it too much to ask to consider that the Moderators have other things going on in their lives? (rhetorical question)

Imagine yourself, as you are laying on the operating table for the 5th time in 4 months, thinking 'gee, as soon as I am out of here I am going to have to check and make sure that the SCF thread has not turned into a flame-fest'. This is what my life is like when we cannot follow simple guidelines.
Don

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,915Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05