Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gotta Love A Collection That Tells A Story

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 763Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4938 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   12:57 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This small check collection was in Eric Jackson's auction this week, and while it cost me more than I had hoped, I was willing to stretch a bit for it.

It traces the use of 2-cent revenue stamps from the advent of the tax in October 1862 through the late 1860s through the lens of a single company's checks.

The checks themselves are great aesthetically, having been printed in two contrasting colors. Additionally it has an example from the second day of tax, October 2, 1862, which are quite rare. This is only the second example I've ever seen, and I'm still searching for a first-day usage.

I'm leaning towards keeping the collection intact rather than breaking it down.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1512 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brilliant display!

Is there a way to keep it intact and build upon it at the same time?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7013 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the government also realized that by making the documentary tax stamps orange when they came out with R15 and leaving the proprietary stamps blue, that they could check the legality of the payments much more easily and make accounting simpler.
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
that is a wonderful group of checks that explains nicely both the use and problems of the users and makers of the stamps. it is fortunate that the archive survived long enough for someone put it together. thanks for showing it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
941 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although I don't collect revenues, I thought it was an interesting display!

Thanks for sharing!

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not collect USA revenues but this collection is fantastic. Not easy or impossible to duplicate.
Thanks for sharing
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
52 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnimatedFDCs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am mot a revenue guy either but whenever I see legacy collections like this one I always stop and look. Just amazing material and tells a great story that, if broken up years ago might never have been reassembled. I have been fortunate to acquire a few legacy
Collections in my collecting areas a few times and I always consider myself to be the lucky when I do.
Valued Member
Learn More...
398 Posts
Posted 09/05/2020   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,

Very nice.

So nice, I won't even ask you to soak the early ones for me despite needing the first two 1862 dates

Keep that together. It is great to see the timeline of the various stamps they used.

Great addition to add to your website as well!

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
373 Posts
Posted 09/07/2020   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for postin the full collection. Quite interesting even to one who doesn't collect revenues.
It is wonderful that it is intact!
United States
4 Posts
Posted 09/07/2020   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great collection. With the August 1865 check National is written on each check above the bank name. I wonder if they received a national charter at this time? Thank you for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2996 Posts
Posted 09/08/2020   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Worth,
Yes.
"The National Bank of Cohoes" received charter number 1347, which dates it to mid-1865.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1613 Posts
Posted 09/08/2020   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Spectacular
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1883 Posts
Posted 09/08/2020   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We don't see penmanship like that anymore.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usmedalman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your acquisition. This type of documentation is invaluable. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3748 Posts
Posted 09/28/2020   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful collection revenuecollector

Thanks for sharing.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 763Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05