Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Qv New South Wales Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 253Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
427 Posts
Posted 09/08/2020   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jony78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

My love of error hunting has turned up this, I've been wrong about this type of flaw before though, I understand how it happens and that it can open up after being soaked off piece but would like a second opinion that this is indeed a pre print paper fold? or am I looking at another post damaged stamp.

Can anyone also tell me the numeral cancel?

many thanks.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1512 Posts
Posted 09/08/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jony78,

I think it's a pre-printing fold (or maybe better defined as a wrinkle).

The numeral is 535 of Cobbitty. Whilst it's rated common, you have an early strike, which should always be held in a higher regard than having the numeral on later, much more common stamps.

The PO was opened in 1869 and the 3d diadem, watermarked double lined 6, was issued in July 1872.

The stamp is perf. 13 and the perforations are rough compared to the two 3d Wmk 6 stamps I have. Perhaps the pins were clogged?

Hope this helps!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
427 Posts
Posted 09/09/2020   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply, answered all my questions, a nice little addition.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
649 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   06:20 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cobbitty is south-west of Sydney, on the outskirts. Anyone who was a fan of the Australian drama, "A Place to Call Home" should know the house is in Cobbitty.

Many decades ago I worked for a financial institution who provided mortgage finance against that house.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1512 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it bemusing that the Cobbitty numeral is rated common yet the Liverpool numeral is rated Scarce.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 253Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05