Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2117-21 Seashells With Orange Luminescent Ink

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 464Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
147 Posts
Posted 09/09/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mstocky2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is an interesting variety I hadn't seen before and wasn't expecting. Under LW UV the seashells that are printed with the orangish ink can be found with a vivid orange ink as well as several paper varieties. This image shows the contrast in ink and paper types taken under LW UV.

This image shows the four varieties with luminescent orange ink.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
Posted 09/09/2020   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MarginBlocks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for this information.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting this!

Keep those finds coming!

I havent been on here much lately - your post was a nice surprise.
I checked mine and I think I have 3 out of the 5 that have the luminous orange ink.
Missing the 2117 and 2120.
Would be nice to find an etire booklet pane with the luminous orange ink.
I have a pane but it is not the luminous ink variety.

Thanks again!
Valued Member
United States
29 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for showing this. I was unaware of any varieties of these stamps!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
209 Posts
Posted 09/19/2020   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amccleaf1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like I've got some checking to do! Think I have a small accumulation of these somewhere. Thank you for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
Posted 09/20/2020   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More to come!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2986 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   02:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. I dug out most of mine tonight. Data as follows:

The pane in my first day ceremony program has the orange luminescent ink under longwave UV, (all but the calico scallop), and with scored perforations.

Not counting the scallop stamp, I had approximately 450 used singles which had been soaked by myself and previous collectors - thus from multiple, fairly random sources. I found a total of 23 with orange luminescent ink, right at 5% of the total, with a range of 4-6% among the 4 shells.

I too observed several different papers based on reactivity to longwave UV - from dead to very bright, although I would note these stamps have all been soaked. I did not do any paper separations.

The tagging block appeared essentially the same on all examples under shortwave UV. I would estimate about 2% have split tagging blocks to some degree.

Thoughts: Is there any correlation among any of the traits:
luminescent ink
scored perforations or not
paper types
the booklet cover (7-design pattern vs 1 design)

I do not have any mint booklets to study.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John B. What do you mean about "scored perforations" I'm not familiar with that term.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2986 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scored perforations: I wasn't familiar either until a few years ago.

My Scott Specialized for 2017 mentions "scored perforations" for the issue before, Scott 2116. Scott is silent about scoring on the seashells issue, yet notice the blind roulette strokes along the horizontal perforations at a rate different than the perforations, so you can occasionally see the ends of the score lines

I do not know if the entire print-run was scored or only part of it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2382 Posts
Posted 09/22/2020   10:53 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scored perfs on booklet panes started at least as early as the 20c rate and went into the 26c rate (I think it went further). They were very erratic in their application. So issues come both with and without and when with it is sometimes all rows and sometimes as little as a single row. The heaviest scoring was on the 25c lighthouses and panes from that issue often split in two at the fold.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, great info about the scored perfs.
Learned something new!

Thanks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 464Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05