Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pros And Cons Of Removing Revenue Stamps From Documents

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,011Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2451 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   9:07 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
?if the revenue stamp was not tied to the document with a cancel, would it be a sin to remove and reaffix a common stamp in a more appealing area?"

compete fraud
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3086 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there may be a nuance on that question that is a more slippery slope ...

To reposition the SAME stamp to a more appealing position?
Valued Member
Malta
119 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Halfpenny Yellow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let's say there's a document which contains 30 or so revenue stamps which are not recorded anywhere else. Retaining the document intact means that only one person can have those 30 stamps, but soaking them off allows multiple collectors to have an example of that stamp in their collections. It would probably make more sense financially to soak them off as well, since it's likely that you'll earn more money selling 30 separate single stamps than all the stamps at once on a document.

Of course, it's a pity to see documents with historic value (and which might be unique like my example above) be destroyed in order to remove the stamps - and I would definitely not do it myself - but there are cases where destroying one document allows more collectors to own a stamp, and this is arguably more beneficial to the hobby.

The situation is similar to breaking up a sheet of stamps. If the only sheet of Inverted Jennies which was purchased intact from the post office in 1918 had been kept as such, today all copies of that stamp would be owned by a single collector or a museum, and most probably it wouldn't be as well-known and iconic as it is today.
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jjdevi1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to leave things as found. My other hobby is collecting militaria, and over the years I've seen a lot of great stuff wrecked by "collector improvement". Just my .02
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,011Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05