Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Organizing Scans Of Album Pages

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,019Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2855 Posts
Posted 09/11/2020   10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have scanned all my Steiner pages and stored in separate folders based upon Steiner page name. I merged each country pdfs into one pdf and using the PDF page numbers as album page numbers. The country pdfs follow Scott order.

If I add a custom page it will be in a separate file and use suffix based upon page before it.

Since it is an active collection I am adding stamps to the collection, I would want to rescan when I get in the mood.

I was wondering if anyone has been doing something similar maintaining their scans using Excel or other tool. I also try to note (now using flags on pages) to note tasks needed such as check watermarks, make a custom page, etc.
Send note to Staff
Al

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6086 Posts
Posted 09/14/2020   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If using PDF's have you looked at a program called Bluebeam? Best PDF editor I've ever worked with.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2855 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have Acrobat Pro so can do much of what I need to do with the PDFs

I ended up with 2800 scans so now going back to renumber using entity_page number_scan date file name for now. The page number will match the PDF page number. Each entity is in one PDF and sorted per Scott (semi-postal, postage due, etc follow main section). The hole in my method is dealing with new custom pages. I cannot integrate in main PDF since it will essentially renumber all pages following the insert page. I need to ponder this more but likely if I put all in PDF using the PDF page number goes out the window. It adds too many limitations.

(Follow up - I discovered you can create Logical page numbers for PDF page so that resolves that. This means I can have a 7.1, 7.2, etc).

For now, it is just as easy to use Windows Photo Viewer to quickly go through the images (filenames need to be in order).
Al
Edited by angore - 09/27/2020 09:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1889 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you've been pretty busy, Al

Jack
Valued Member
United Kingdom
422 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You asked about using something like Excel. I keep pdf copies of all the journals I have and anything else I find on-line that is relevant and then use Excel to keep track of and index these.

Not quite what you are asking but it works well. The big plus is that you can put a hyperlink into an Excel cell which when clicked on will directly load the relevant page into a pdf viewer.

I had though about using Access but that proved more complex than Excel to set up.

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2855 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did create a spreadsheet that has country and page number along with status (needs to be scanned or rescanned, etc).
I did not put hyperlinks but have seen an excel used like an index for a lot of files in same folder. I have not gone back and renamed all the scans but I do track if I add a stamp or create a new page.
Al
Valued Member
Canada
44 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add helder to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did the same with part of my collection.
Different from you I keep the scans as images instead of PDFs.
Mainly because I want to keep high quality and PDF files usually have higher compression than png images, so the quality goes down.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2855 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I save scans as images. I can also create both with a single scan too.

Using a program called FreeCommander I can do a bulk rename so I mainly just need to add page number.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4934 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading this thread has inspired me to start capturing my album pages for use and posterity. Thank you.
Learn More...
8500 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   08:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like any kind of reference work, if you are going to do this then it is worth doing correctly. The best strategy is to scan in the highest resolution you can tolerate (time-wise) and then save your files using TIFF (uncompressed) format. The result is very large file sizes but this approach allows you to 'downsize' the images for various uses (like uploading) anytime in the future.

If you only scan in low resolution/compressed format like JPG, you will find yourself rescanning any time you need a better quality image.

Additionally, buy yourself a good quality external hard drive and store your archive on it. (Frankly everyone ought to already be using external drives to backup and store all their personal files.) But having one specifically for your reference philatelic images is a handy thing to have. You should never fill your computer's hard drive up, once a hard drive is 50% capacity or greater, the performance become abysmal.

And Al mentions, thinking through your file naming convention will also save you heartburn in the future and make finding an image quicker and easier.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
44 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add helder to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TIFF is a good choice and indeed you are going to have a big file. The same situation if you save as BMP.

It is a trade-off, I choose the PNG format because scanning with a good resolution, let's say 600dpi, I can have a file with less the 8MB.
Learn More...
8500 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   09:10 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not support PNG and it has fallen from grace with a lot of developers. With PNG format the metadata information can be stored only in text format. This means that it slows down any app that works with them and makes app development harder.
Don

Edit; For more info see this https://tech.kateva.org/2006/04/why...-stupid.html
Valued Member
Canada
44 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add helder to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, if metadata is required PNG is a problem.
Good point Don, thanks for the link.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
402 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus will only scan to my computer as either a JPEG or PDF. What home printers can scan as TIFF or Bitmap?

I can always take the scanned JPEG image, open it MS Paint, and save that as a TIFF, but I doubt that the resulting image is the same as scanning as a TIFF in the first place. Am I wrong?

My scans of my more valuable stamps and plate blocks are mostly for proof of possession in case I need to file a loss claim with my insurance carrier.

I back up my philatelic files to thumb drives, which I replace with new ones periodically. I don't really trust my old external HHDs.
Edited by uboatnut - 10/18/2020 11:32 am
Learn More...
8500 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   11:36 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I typically do not use the bundled app software that comes with a scanner; instead I scan directly into higher end graphics apps that access the scanner with a driver (Corel PaintShop Pro, Adobe Photoshop, or VueScan Pro).
Thumbs drives will work (but be wary of off-shore cheapo thumb drives). I lean towards external drives due to there large capacity/lower cost per MB. It is true that mechanical drives are less reliable long term but they typically give you warnings well before they crap out (i.e. slowly increasing cyclic redundancy check (CRC) errors).
Don

Edit: Over my career I have purchased and dealt with tens of thousands of hard drives; I have gotten to know them very well.

All mechanical hard drives have firmware built into them; it is called Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) and it records any issues that the drive has seen over its entire lifetime. Note that most of the time you never know about any issues your hard drive might be having, it just blocks out bad sectors and moves on. Also note that SMART records other information like shock data (i.e. you bounced the drive off the floor). SMART is what the hard drive manufacturers use to understand the health of any drive you return to them under warrantee.

You can access the entire history of your hard drives health within most operating systems but this is often a bit cryptic format. Instead, Windows user can download and use a free app like CrystalDiskInfo https://crystalmark.info/en/softwar...taldiskinfo/; this is simply to use and understand. If folks have a mechanical hard drive in their computer I recommend periodically checking the SMART info and make sure that there is not a trend of increasing issues. Frankly if people did this, especially people who have servers, you would see thing like 'oh our computer just died and we are having to rebuild it'.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can save JPG images in uncompressed mode and keep all the detail if/when you need it. Expensive photographic software usually works with RAW mode images (no post processing is done) but typically save in JPG, you pick the compression. My digital camera allows control of JPG compression, too, and I can save to monster images. If the scanner software you are using will save to JPG allowing you to control compression, turn it off or very low and you'll be able to zoom in and crop to your heart's content. TIFF is good in the fact that it can accommodate "multiple pages" in a single file, but I've never seen an advantage to that myself ... maybe for documents (TIFF is often used in faxes and faxing software).

If you save an image to JPG with high compression, you get a smaller file but you can never regain the detail; it is lost forever.
Don

Edit: I agree that JPG compression is designed to 'fool' human eyes into thinking that the quality is good, that is part of the specification. But the compression is indeed noticeable to the PC, especially when you start doing post-scan processes like 'rotate. Stamp images are often rotated a small amount, the quality of the rotate function relies upon having as much image data as possible. Less image data mean more pixel blur in the resulting rotated image.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,019Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05