Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Organizing Scans Of Album Pages

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,136Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   12:15 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All JPG saves uses compression, you can reduce the amount of compression but you cannot 'turn off' all compression. And note that the quality of the compression is not universal, it can be dependent upon the app you are using. 'Free' software often uses lesser quality JPG compression while more costly graphics apps invest time and money in their JPG compression algorithms.
Don

Edit: In many graphics apps there is a 'slider' or other control which lets you adjust the amount of compression. It may fool you into thinking you can turn it off but the lowest setting still applies some compression. Compression is the whole point of JPG, if it was totally uncompressed then you might as well just use TIFF.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My previous image editor offered "lossless JPEG" as a save option. It exists, it's googleable. You are right tho, unless it says "lossless", even at 0 compression (100% output size), some algorithms are in play to reduce size (from google). True "Lossless" preserves all colors and resolution but apparently isn't too common.

I've since switched to IrfanView which has some lossless JPG options but apparently not on save. Too bad. DxO PhotoLab doesn't have lossless options, just a 0-100% slider. And it apparently saves to TIFF, which surprised me.

I've blown up my uncompressed high-resolution JPGs beyond what I needed with exceptional results. Usually these are camera images with obscene resolution, but you would be hard-pressed to get better expandability in TIFF ... if it were even possible (from my camera). I suppose RAW mode -> save as TIFF, but then I'd just stay in RAW mode.
Learn More...
8636 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   8:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a lossless in the JPG spec but I was not aware that it has bene implemented anywhere; what would the point be? The entire reason for JPG was to reduce image size, if it does not reduce any image data then the file sizes will be the same as uncompressed TIFF. You can test to see if your app is truly lossless but scanning an image, saving in TIFF and also saving in 'lossless' JPG, then check the files sizes. If the 'lossless' file size is smaller, than the image is compressed. Any compression = loss of image data and quality.

My original point is that for saving reference images the best quality image is desirable. As you pointed out earlier, you can always make a image files smaller but once the image data is lost you cannot bring it back again.
Don
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, I kept digging because I wanted to see what RAW mode actually was (suggested as the best lossless way to save camera images). And that's exactly what it is ... a raw and complete dump of sensor data with no processing whatsoever.

As it turns out, they ARE making scanners now (so says google) that save in RAW format. Likely too large to be practical when saving thousands of pages, but something to research.

I totally agree that the best quality saved is the better plan. I'm not convinced that a high res uncompress JPG loses any detectable detail to TIFF; simply, I'm happy with my huge JPGs. They do start to take up a ton of room, tho. And I usually copy and reduce these to 35% or lower to use on web pages.

I don't want to hijack the thread (and likely won't) but my wife's scanner has all but died and I might as well look for another. While I look to see if RAW-saving scanners are only used in medical applications or what ... what is the consensus on the BEST scanners for working with stamps? I have my camera, and if I set it up for large batches it can be fast and efficient, but not like a scanner that's always ready for singles or a whole page. My phone works ok for the occassional SOTN scan (although at least one argued differently; worked for me) Scanner recommendations? I suppose I should search here too.
Edited by knick1959 - 10/18/2020 9:43 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,136Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05